MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Military Shows & Events (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   MLU @ Normandy 2019 meet up: 4 June (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29851)

Hanno Spoelstra 16-02-19 21:00

MLU @ Normandy 2019 meet up: 4 June

1 Attachment(s)
Like in 2014, a merry band of Dutch and Czech people - all with a preference for Canadian and British military history - will be camping at the Batterie de Longues.

I will be there during the first week of June and I was wondering if any members on here are interested in a MLU meeting? Nothing formal, just a "cars & coffee" style get together.

Would Monday 3 June be a suitable date?

Please let me know if you are willing to join us and if the date suits you.

Hope to meet you soon!

Hanno

Attachment 105579

nicholas dunford 22-02-19 18:53

Hi yes please count us in we will be on the MVT Normandy tour with the Bedford MWR ,had planed to call in at Batterie Longues at some point it would be good to put faces to names

Hanno Spoelstra 23-02-19 08:19

Hello Nicholas,

That’s good to hear. Yes, putting faces to names, coffee and kicking some tyres, that’s what it is about.

I’ll post exact details later, but let us stick to 3rd of June.

Cheers,
Hanno

Alex van de Wetering 23-02-19 19:18

I would love to meet up, but I am afraid I won't be there any time before early evening on Monday the 3rd. :(

What about late afternoon June 5th? I don't see any big events scheduled for June 5th, so far(?)

Alex

James Gosling 23-02-19 21:18

Hi Hanno,

A meet up is a great idea, see you at Longues!!!!!!

James

:cheers:

cordenj 24-02-19 10:03

See you there Hanno...hopefully with a HUP

Lang 27-02-19 02:14

Hope to see you there Hanno.

Lang

Howard Smith 27-02-19 12:19

Don't know too many peeps on this site, but I'll be there.. Subject to plans of who I'll be traveling with, but I would be up for a meet.
I was there for the '94, but this time there is a cottage in the works, not a piece of canvas under a Ward boom!

PaulClark 04-03-19 17:00

Hope to see you there Hanno

Hanno Spoelstra 10-03-19 17:14

MLU @ Normandy 2019 meeting: 4 June (not the 3rd)

All, we had a Longues Camp meeting today, and decided to move the MLU @ Normandy meeting to Tuesday 4 June, instead of 3rd June. This was decided so more people can attend.

So here's what we plan to do:
  • A friendly gathering for MLU members, families & friends. You are welcome from 09:00 hrs.

• We will line up the Canadian and British vehicles in our camp between 10:00 - 12:00 hrs. This will be a great photo opportunity.

• After 12:00 hrs you are welcome to leave - or stay longer if you wish to visit the Batteries, kick some tyres, meet fellow MLU members.

Note:
- If you drive a non-Commonwealth vehicle, you are more than welcome, but please park your vehicle outside of the camp.
- If required, bring you own food & beverages.

Date: Tuesday 4 June, 10:00 - 12:00 hrs.

Hope to see you there!

Hanno

Ian McCallum 12-03-19 16:41

Count us in!

Hi Hanno,

:salute: Have put into the diary of the Norfolk Military Vehicle Group members that will be in Normandy.

If all turn up, British/Commonwealth:

My Ford C11AS Station Wagon
Bill Purchase - Humber Super Snipe
David Skinner - Humber 8cwt 4x4 PU
Chris Morter - Humber Heavy Utility
Chris Carter - Austin K2 Ambulance
Martyn Streeter - Ford WOT2H
Trevor Evans - Ford GPW (British Contract)

Plus another nine who have American, or American marked vehicles who will have to park outside.

nicholas dunford 15-03-19 19:44

date changed to 4th june on our planning itinerary still works for us hope see you all there

Alastair Thomas 26-04-19 20:05

Batterie de longues

Three Thomas brothers and their F60S would like to attend.
Thank you
Hanno
Alastair Thomas

Paul Edwards 27-04-19 12:27

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Hanno,

Thanks for the invite, we'll be there with the Morris CDSW light recovery.

Keep the coffee hot, it could be a slow run up.

We're on the MVT tour and wouldn't mind running up with others.

Cheers,

Paul

Alex van de Wetering 28-05-19 23:32

Looking forward to our small meet-up, next week!

Is there anyone onboard the Liberation task force/XXX Corps events in Normandy? Is there an XXXCorps camp anywhere.....or is it a mix of participants from different campsites/Hotels??

Alex

Ron Pier 29-05-19 06:30

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Hanno. I'm sort of heading up a largish group of motorcyclists, based at Etreham. Unfortunately we have a run planned for the 4th. But we will definitely be calling in at Lonques before that. Maybe over the weekend or Monday 3rd. We might catch you if you know what times you're likely to be on site. Ron

Tim Bell 29-05-19 10:05

Unfortunately we have had to cancel Normandy this year... disappointed to say the least... I have an MVT tour place available for any MVT member who might be interested as long as they have an MV to take over.

Hope everyone has a great time.

Tim

Hanno Spoelstra 30-05-19 22:10

Parking directions

1 Attachment(s)
So, on 4 June when you drive up to the Batterie de Longues-sur-Mer in your Commonwealth vehicle, turn left and left again to drive into the field - see the red marker on the map.

This is where we camp with a group of 50+ Dutch and Czech people, so you will see a lot of tents and vehicles.

If you are not driving in a Commonwealth vehicle, please park outside - see the green marker on the map.

Attachment 107591

Alex van de Wetering 31-05-19 00:28

4 Attachment(s)
One of the many Advanced Landing grounds, was B11 Longues....operational from June 25th 1944.
The landing strip was located East from the batterie....in fact closer to Manvieux, with the edge of the airfield running along the road that's now the D514.

Operating from B11:
132 RAAF Squadron
453 RAAF Squadron
602 RAF Squadron
441 RCAF Squadron.

All operated Spitfires. Famous French pilot Pierre Clostermann flew from B11, as well as South African J. J. Le Roux....credited for attacking Erwin Rommels staffcar and wounding Rommel.

Attached are some aerial pictures taken in August 1944 that show part of the airfield. source:http://lmharchive.ca/

Alex

Grant Bowker 31-05-19 01:07

There are conflicting accounts of who was responsible for the damage to Field Marshal Rommel and his staff car.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charley_Fox

Hanno Spoelstra 04-06-19 14:52

The turn up this morning at the Maple Leaf Up Normandy Meet Up & Vehicle Line Up was very good with a large variety of Commonwealth vehicles turning up: Ford, Chevrolet, Leyland, Morris-Commercial, Austin, Scammell, Bedford - and then some.

For good measure a few US-built ones turned up. It is good to see so many Jeeps in British or Canadian markings these days.

Sadly, I had to leave early due to other commitments, but when I was there I met many friends, matched faces to names and got to know new people. I thank you all for showing up in great numbers and making this a good day out. Please share your pictures here for all to enjoy. I’ll have to upload them later.

And like James Gosling said, let’s make this a regular event!

H.

Harlé Sylvain 09-06-19 17:54

1 Attachment(s)
Hello
We are just back from the coast with the FAT , it drove very good for his first road trip, we made 215milles :cheers:

Unfortunaly we arrive to late too Longues with the Ford an many poeples has left, but I met some members on thursday when came with my matchless.

Bad whether but good memories for this 75th aniversary :thup2:

Cheers
Sylvain

Ganmain Tony 10-06-19 00:44

pictures

That's a wonderful photo of your FAT Harle.

If you have any more... would really appreciate you posting them here.

Harlé Sylvain 10-06-19 08:45

3 Attachment(s)
Hello
Tony thank you! here are some more pictures , in St Mere Eglise ,Carantan , and Omaha beach.

Cheers
Sylvain

Attachment 107771 Attachment 107772 Attachment 107773

Ganmain Tony 10-06-19 13:29

Merci!!

Fabulous vehicle Harle...

You have excellent taste. :thup2:

Ron Pier 11-06-19 19:59

I came to the Lonques site on the 2nd to find it mostly empty and then again on the 6th to find it busy but no Hanno. I did meet up with Tomas Higgins but the language barrier left him vague about who I was! But someone translated in the end. Ron

Hanno Spoelstra 11-06-19 21:47

Sylvain, Ron,

Sorry to have missed you, I would have liked to meet in person!

I did meet quite a few fellow MLU'ers, it was good to see familiar faces and see a few new ones as well. Will upload photos of the meet up soon.

H.

Alex van de Wetering 12-06-19 22:22

5 Attachment(s)
I tried uploading some pictures from our campsite, but failed somehow...so, here is another try from home...

Alex

Alex van de Wetering 12-06-19 22:23

5 Attachment(s)
couple more....

Alex van de Wetering 12-06-19 22:24

5 Attachment(s)
Great to see all these vehicles together