MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ford Data Plate (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31580)

m606paz 26-09-20 10:25

Ford Data Plate

1 Attachment(s)
You can read Transfer Case High 4x2 and Low 4x4.
Mean No 4x4 on High?

Tony Smith 26-09-20 14:49

This data plate is from a Ford Truck fitted with the Marmon-Herrington 4wd conversion (ie NOT a CMP). The M-H Transfer Case is constant 4x4, and can only be shifted from Hi 4x4 to Lo 4x4, there is no 2wd option.

m606paz 26-09-20 15:25

Tony
Thanks for your quick reply.
I think never have here the truck MH... :confused

Colin Alford 26-09-20 17:14

4 Attachment(s)
Tony,

If you enlarge the image, you should be able to see 4 and 2 on either side of the arrow pointing to “High”, and 4 and 4 on either side of the arrow pointing to “Low”.

I would like to introduce some images comparing C60-Handbook British 1 alongside C60-Handbook Canadian 1.

C60-HB1 was published in November 1943 and it’s layout conforms to the British 16 Task Maintenance Routine.

C60-HC1 was published in October 1944. Canadians used the “Compulsory Preventive Maintenance Schedules (C.P.M.S. 1,2 and 3 including the Six Task System) by the Canadian Army Home, while the Six Task System was used by the Canadian Army Overseas. The layout is different to complement the Canadian Maintenance routines and it includes updated instructions/ illustrations on the vehicle.

By October 1944, Chevrolet was using separate levers for PTO and Transfer Case Operation. The Transfer Case lever only had three positions, High with front axle disengaged, Neutral, and Low with front axle engaged.

If Ford made changes similar to Chevrolet then I think this data plate could actually belong to a CMP.

Jordan Baker 26-09-20 17:44

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the interesting comparison between the two handbooks.

I’ve got this NOS plate but it differed by not having a PTO.

m606paz 27-09-20 02:26

2 Attachment(s)
1945 Ford GT PTO and Gearshift Levers
PTO Off and TC High 4x2

Tony Smith 27-09-20 03:11

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Alford (Post 272712)
By October 1944, Chevrolet was using separate levers for PTO and Transfer Case Operation. The Transfer Case lever only had three positions, High with front axle disengaged, Neutral, and Low with front axle engaged.

My Dec '41 Chev Portee has one Transfer Case lever that moves through 3 gates like an inverted "U" (or is it "W"?) to give High 2wd, High 4wd and Low 4wd.

Back and to the left is H2, Forward to the left and middle row is H4, and middle to the back is L4. Halfway along the H/L shift, you can move the lever across to the right and back to put the transfer in neutral AND engage the PTO Winch.

These Oct '44 changes must have involved a redesign of the transfer shift linkage to eliminate H4 and co-ordinate the front axle engagement with the gear reduction change inside the transfer.

To be honest, I have not seen a late production Ford transfer case to know if it was also done on those vehicles. I don't recall ever seeing any Ford without High 4wd.

m606paz 28-09-20 01:57

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Tony
The TC found im this 1945 FGT is like the picture.
And the linkage work like the modified drawing.