MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bill Gregg & the Wood Pile (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27235)

Mike Cecil 09-04-17 19:34

Bill Gregg & the Wood Pile

1 Attachment(s)
Q: why would the late Bill Gregg and Charlie Laister (of Tillsonburg, Ontario) be so interested in Charlie's woodpile????

To be continued.....

Mike

Richard Farrant 09-04-17 20:46

Probably a CMP truck hidden under the wood pile :)

maple_leaf_eh 09-04-17 21:16

The woodpile became a more recognizable structure?

Mike Cecil 09-04-17 21:27

2 Attachment(s)
Bingo! Richard takes home the cake on that one!

The captions on the three images read:

(1) (the wood pile): '1940 Ford 6x4 buried in woodpile in 1954. 'So I wouldn't be tempted to sell this one' - Charlie Laister ..... He bought 30 CMPs in 1954 - sold to tobacco farmers in area'

(2) (the pile with the Ford partly uncovered) 'Vehicle has 1600 miles on odometer and is virtually as build except for rusty doors etc. Buried 28 years, recovered Oct 1982.'

(3) (The Ford uncovered): 'Engine runs well after cleaning carburetor and replacing fuel pump - unbelievable after 28 years of Canadian weather'

A little bit of Canadian MV history, compliments of Bill sending me the images way back in the 1980s. :salute:

Anyone know what eventually happened to the Ford 6x4?

Mike

Richard Farrant 09-04-17 22:43

Hi Mike,
That was a shot in the dark !!

Good find though, hope it is still around and looked after.

Alex van de Wetering 09-04-17 23:16

I think both pictures were also published in one of the early Wheels and Tracks magazines.

No idea what happened to the F60H.....as far as I know it's not the one from the Leegwaters; Stefan(?)

Alex

rob love 10-04-17 04:39

2 Attachment(s)
I would have to confirm, but I think it is in the Dustbowl here in Shilo. Perhaps "Crerar's caravan" was mounted on it when it came to Shilo?

Edited to add: Nope, memory does not serve me...the caravan was on the "Selkirk fire truck". The Ford was near to it in Bill's Barn. Almost certain it is down in the dustbowl somewhat derelict these days.

Stew Robertson 10-04-17 14:24

Typical government standards
this is why they should not be caretakers of our history or control of our tax dollars :mad:
The story behind the woodpile is when we were looking at the caravan we had a glint of sunshine come out of the woodpile so Bill asked what was buried in the woodpile
Charlie says Well was it for sale ?yes if we can make a deal on the caravan
two weeks later they vehicles were in Rockwood and about 2 hrs later after a sets of points a hanging fuel tank and fuel it was running
It was taken to Bills and stored for later restoration as there was very few know to exist at that time
It was delivered to Shilo with the understanding that it would be stored inside and restored
On arrival it drove off the train

Gordon Yeo 10-04-17 15:12

Ford 4x6

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of another Ford 4x6, from the Tillsonburg yard, that has gone to a far better home than CFB Shilo.

Jordan Baker 10-04-17 16:21

That's pretty cool with the Selkirk markings. That fire Stn is about 30min from me. A few years ago I was doing training there and saw some pictures they had of a CMP or two converted to fire trucks.

Frantisek Nachlinger 10-04-17 17:02

Leegwaters' "H"

2 Attachment(s)
Leegwaters F60H is really a beauty ;)

on their new web is written it comes from Elliots.

Stefan Leegwater 12-04-17 17:24

Hi,

Yes Indeed, it is an other one, look at the vents in the nose, ours does not have those,

Nice pictures of the one under the woodpile!

Cheers,

Stefan