MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Rear axle help (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20269)

Ben 09-05-13 08:14

Rear axle help

Hi

Whilst stripping the rear axle on the scout it turns out that the coupling sleeve on the pinion shaft that engages with the gear box is missing the spacer, washers and bolt. It looks like the bolt is 5/8 NF.

Does anyone have the parts below for sale or have them to measure, the thicknesses are the most important the diameters would help but can be worked out.

TL 3307 Spacer
TL 876 the heavy washer
TL 878 locktab washer
TL 8850 screw (this is 5/8" NF)

Thanks

Ben

eddy8men 09-05-13 21:52

1 Attachment(s)
hi ben

is this what you need

Richard Farrant 09-05-13 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddy8men (Post 179764)
hi ben

is this what you need

Hi Eddie,
No, the spacer required goes on the splined end of the pinion shaft and sits between the locknuts and the internally splined coupling. Just the dimensions will suffice.

regards, Richard

Michael R. 10-05-13 04:25

trans part

1 Attachment(s)
While you are in there Ben, is it a good time to update the oil seal fittings?

Lynn Eades 10-05-13 06:59

Are the seals readily available? I have had a quick look at an SKF catalogue on line and they are not available. A quick look at metric alternatives would require an external mounting ring to be made up for both seals.

Richard Farrant 10-05-13 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn Eades (Post 179779)
Are the seals readily available? I have had a quick look at an SKF catalogue on line and they are not available. A quick look at metric alternatives would require an external mounting ring to be made up for both seals.

Lynn,
No problem, seals can be made for any size. I had a stack done for a WW2 armoured car recently where the outside diameter was larger than stock items. Not expensive either. No need for adaptor rings then.

regards, Richard

shaun 10-05-13 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddy8men (Post 179764)
hi ben

is this what you need

Rick, I had to make one of those for the MK 1 - as I was doing I thought some one must have one somewhere ! And it's you ! Oh well.

eddy8men 10-05-13 09:37

hi shaun
i scrounged mine from kevin last week along with the gear coupling (cheers kev) but i'm thinking of having a couple made as they seem quite hard to find, so if anyone else wants one nows the time to speak.

rick

Jim Burrill 10-05-13 16:35

:giveup

Me! Me! Me! please...

Jim

Ben 10-05-13 21:10

Thanks for the help so far, I think we're getting there. The modification drawings are interesting showing the newer seal arrangment.

Cheers

Ben

super dave 13-05-13 08:50

Put me down for at least one , maybe 2 if the price is right :)

eddy8men 14-05-13 09:35

i'll do as many as anyone wants but i could also post up a drawing so you could have your own made which would be cheaper, infact i'll do that when i have a spare minute.

rick

super dave 14-05-13 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddy8men (Post 179913)
i'll do as many as anyone wants but i could also post up a drawing so you could have your own made which would be cheaper, infact i'll do that when i have a spare minute.

rick

The drawing would be fine but not all of us would have a place locally that could even make them. Do you know a rough ballpark on the price of the seal ??

eddy8men 15-05-13 01:16

reckon we've got our wires crossed dave, i'm talking about the dished flange that connects the gearbox to the axle, not the seal.

rick