MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Carrier Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   MkII Carrier Tail/Rear Light Pictures (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15643)

RichCam 30-10-10 05:14

MkII Carrier Tail/Rear Light Pictures

Does anyone out there have some pictures of a MkII rear tail light? I can't seem to find anything in the reference books. I see it in the wiring diagrams in our manual but nothing that is illustrated or shows what it looks like.
Thanks,

peter simundson 30-10-10 16:26

Unless I forget..

it's a normal CMP tail light with a red plastic lens. I think the original had a woven wire cover outside the wiring.

Peter S

RichCam 30-10-10 18:01

MkII tail light position

Peter, thank you for the response. I happen to have a red CMP rear light. Where do you think it was mounted on the rear of a MkII? Again, I haven't seen a picture of a tail light on a MkII so any information you have would be helpful.

Lynn Eades 30-10-10 20:25

Richcam

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a rear end of a MkII, and it shows you were it isnt. So it has to be at the top of the tool board somewhere, buried by the folding down of that lid. have a look at the back of this Mortar carrier. I think it is mounted at one of the two bolt holes that are enpty, at the top of the tool board.

RichCam 30-10-10 20:41

Tail Light Positioning

Lynn,

Thanks for the pictures. I now have a good idea of where I'm going to put it. We hope to have our Legion MkII carrier operational for the Huntsville Rembrance Day parade on Nov. 11th.

Perry Kitson 31-10-10 01:34

4 Attachment(s)
Attached are four photos of the tail light on the rear of a MkII carrier with towing attchment. At the side of the hood there is a hole for a toggle switch(which is not fitted) for remotely turning the light off.

Perry

Marc van Aalderen 31-10-10 14:13

Tail Light on my UC No2MkII*

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Chaps,

Take a look, this is the correct location and the correct light. It indeed has a woven cover on the wire. Perry's light is actually a front light, hence the white lens.

Cheers,
Marc
Attachment 38161

RichCam 01-11-10 03:36

Proper Tail light position

Perry & Marc,

Thank you for the clarification and the pictures.

Perry Kitson 02-11-10 16:41

1 Attachment(s)
After 14 or so years of saying I should change the lens in the tail light, I have finally been shamed into doing it. Note also the difference between the towing attachments. There may have been changes during production, or perhaps between different manufacturers.

Perry

rob love 02-11-10 18:36

Here is a tip on the lenses for the CMP lights: They do tend to shrink and disintegrate over time. What I used to do was save the different color lenses in the broken army flashlights (they come with a variety of spare lenses held in the tailcap, blue, red white) and using a gasket punch would cut out the appropriate size lens for the cmp taillight from them.

Neil Ashley 05-11-10 18:55

On my canadian Mk11* I have a light both on the back of the carrier which is wired in, and one on the towing hook as shown in the other postings which is not.

Presumably my carrier either started off life without a hook or the light on the hook is a later mod on early Mk11's?

Dirk Leegwater (RIP) 05-11-10 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc van Aalderen (Post 138143)
Hi Chaps,
Take a look, this is the correct location and the correct light.
It indeed has a woven cover on the wire. Perry's light is actually
\a front light, hence the white lens.
Attachment 38161

Hi Marc, Perry's rear light is Canadian and need a red lens. Your rear light has a red lens but is British.

Dirk

Marc van Aalderen 05-11-10 21:12

Dirk,

Then I need a Canadian light! Do you have one in stock? With red lens of course.

Cheers,
Marc

Lynn Eades 05-11-10 23:09

Marc

I know you will want to change it, but the military would have fitted what was available.

Marc van Aalderen 05-11-10 23:20

Wrong or right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn Eades (Post 138440)
I know you will want to change it, but the military would have fitted what was available.

Hi Lynn,

You're right. They did. That's also what happened during the restauration :D

I think I will try to get a Canadian light and store that for future use if anything happens to my British light.

Cheers,
Marc

Neil Ashley 08-11-10 08:54

I would be tempted to change it for a Canadian light as the one you have fited is not even the standard British pattern used on Carriers.

Lynn Eades 08-11-10 09:24

Niel

Can you put up a picture of the right one. Thanks.

Ron Pier 08-11-10 13:11

4 Attachment(s)
Here is the correct WW2 British army tail light. Ron

Neil Ashley 09-11-10 09:23

Yes that the correct late war pattern from approx 43 onwards.

Prior to this the rubber pattern was used. I believe Dirk still has the canadian version of these for sale.

Other types were used on different truck contracts but these are the two principal patterns.

Dirk Leegwater (RIP) 10-11-10 19:41

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Ashley (Post 138587)
Yes that the correct late war pattern from approx 43 onwards.

Prior to this the rubber pattern was used. I believe Dirk still has the
canadian version of these.......................

The picture shows some examples of a few taillights (British and Canadian). Sometimes are they for sale.
Keep watching our website.

Dirk