MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   For Sale Or Wanted (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Heads Up: SALVAGE YARD RETIREMENT AUCTION SATURDAY, MAY 4 @ 9:00 AM SHARP! (Adams, NY) (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20229)

Stuart Fedak 02-05-13 14:02

Text removed as content is no longer current.

Text removed as content is no longer current.]

rob love 02-05-13 14:46

Now that's what I call an auction. M151A2 variants, M100 and M416 trailers, lots of parts....

One has to wonder how that many M151s managed to not get crushed.

maple_leaf_eh 02-05-13 15:12

Too many other things already on the calendar!

Dang! :whinge

Barry Churcher 03-05-13 01:35

The wrecking yard in Adam's was well known to quite a few Canadian collectors. I managed to spend a few bucks there. He had lots of tires off the 151's and quite a few piles of squashed bodies. My best purchase was the folding seat out of an old Northwest crane.
Cheers,
Barry

Bob Carriere 03-05-13 02:45

Good memories.....

.... I got a 52 Dodge civvy p/u power wagon parts truck with spare engine from him and price was good.

Sadly no CMP stuff!!

Bob

Barry Churcher 03-05-13 04:06

Sadly no CMP stuff!!

Mr Carriere it is my understanding that the bulk of the CMP stuff that resides
east of Rob Love is located in a small Hamlet called Hammond. I found that little known tidbit on Wikepedi.
Barry

Marc Montgomery 04-05-13 13:01

its a case of knowing when to hold em, and knowing when to fold em.

alas once someone starts collecting, its almost impossible to get them to "fold em"

I guess we all have stories of someone holding on to an item who says " Im gonna restore that someday",, and you realizing its never gonna happen, and the item rots away

My best story is an MG-TD...spotted first when rough but restorable... got the story..gonna restore it, not for sale,,, years later spotted in exact same place, now very rough..good for some parts maybe...years later spotted again, literally collapsed into a pile of rusty junk with four rubber tires sticking out....

another story is of a CMP (known to several of us) owned by an 80+ yr-old guy..parked for years, if not decades,, good for parts only..and not many at that,, nope not for sale, gonna restore it.. last seen a few years ago and hadnt moved , just sitting exposed and getting worse...I expect its a total loss by now

Scott Bentley 04-05-13 16:08

I was at this fellas yard once.

At the time, none of the 151 stuff was for sale except for the tires. Even then, he was asking a significant amount for them. I left empty handed.

I'm guessing something has come up in the family causing this wave of sales.

Scott Bentley 04-05-13 18:54

I just read on another board that some folks from Fort Drum paid him a visit and told him that the M151s will not be getting sold without being demilled and were subsequently removed from the Auction block.

rob love 05-05-13 05:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Bentley (Post 179565)
I just read on another board that some folks from Fort Drum paid him a visit and told him that the M151s will not be getting sold without being demilled and were subsequently removed from the Auction block.

Guess that answers my question as to how that many MUTTS managed not to get cut up. They didn't.

Hanno Spoelstra 05-05-13 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Bentley (Post 179565)

Seems the US Army is effectively hunting down the deficiencies in their surplussing system... I hadn't figured out yet what sort of vehicle the "Military Jeeps, AM General M35A2CAM, General 151 Model M220A" is. :rolleyes

Hanno Spoelstra 05-05-13 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 179585)
Guess that answers my question as to how that many MUTTS managed not to get cut up. They didn't.

Not all Mutts get demilled. IIRC, the USMC's spare M151A2's stored at Barstow were traded in on a deal on new equipment and were subsequently sold uncut on the civilian market. The same is true for the Portuguese Army's M151A2's, they can be bought uncut from a yard near Lisbon.

rob love 05-05-13 13:16

With the new registration of ITAR and the End User Certificates, todays surplus is now registered. The Mutts likely predate the EUCs, but there are plenty of stories on Steel Soldiers forum where inspectors have shown up to purchasers homes, sometimes years after the purchase, and asked to either see the equipment or the EUC that the purchaser had to have filled out by the new buyer.

Here in Canada, our military pattern vehicles are now destroyed rather than sold to the public. Something tells me the US may eventually start doing the same. The return on the sales is often not that much more than scrap, and maintaining the registry and enforcement of it has got to have some cost.

maple_leaf_eh 05-05-13 13:57

Supply and Demand

As sad as this sounds, these policies only increase the interest and attaction of our hobby. What is harder to get, is more desireable. Has anyone noticed the "retail" price of a good running Sherman tank - upwards of $400,000.!