MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Inventory Reduction Strategy No.1 ... (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33439)

Mike Cecil 29-05-22 20:43

Inventory Reduction Strategy No.1 ...

2 Attachment(s)
There comes a time in any author's life when, faced with moving those heavy boxes yet again ... :devil:

Lynn Eades 29-05-22 21:46

Mike, when you only have one copy, you (me) are inclined to treasure it. :salute:

Hanno Spoelstra 29-05-22 21:55

That must hurt…

Philliphastings 30-05-22 10:18

Oh the humanity 😳

Every time I clear stuff out it just makes me go and collect more ‘treasures’ to fill the gap 😄

Cheers

Phill

Ed Storey 30-05-22 11:46

Ouch!

Those are painful photos to look at.

derk derin 30-05-22 21:15

You shouldn’t have ripped them up…………..

as a fellow collector, there are some of us over the years that have spotted stuff in garbage bins who have pulled stuff out and saved it from the dump!
As they are now ripped the temptation to save them has diminished but I’m sure there is a slim chance somebody will still want to pull them out of the bin, take them home, tape them together with the plans on one day reading them (but never do).
I used to be one of those people but have better self control now. Ask Rob Love!
Regards,Derk

rob love 30-05-22 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philliphastings (Post 286844)
Every time I clear stuff out it just makes me go and collect more ‘treasures’ to fill the gap ��

Cheers

Phill

Every time I put up another shed because all the other ones are full, it just makes me go and collect more "treasures" to fill the new shed.

rob love 30-05-22 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by derk derin (Post 286852)
I used to be am one of those people but have better and have no self control now. Ask Rob Love!
Regards,Derk

Derk
I fixed it for you. Lie to your friends, but don't lie to us. I have seen you, recently, crawling through a mold infested shed with the roof caved in looking through rusty pails of scrap for treasure.

Philliphastings 31-05-22 15:40

Never enough

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob love (Post 286853)
Every time I put up another shed because all the other ones are full, it just makes me go and collect more "treasures" to fill the shed.

We can never have enough shed space Rob.

As Australian singer John Williamson wrote “All Australian boys need a shed”

I recently moved to a location with bigger shed capacity - Lord help me !

��

rob love 31-05-22 17:29

Looking at the list underneath your post Phillip, yes, you do need a bigger shed. Congrats.

The problem is that the sheds aren't the only expense. You then need warehouse shelving, which can end up costing as much as the shed(s) itself. If you are merely making piles on the floor or pallets, then the shed fills up very quickly.

I always think to the Indiana Jones movie where they are putting away the crated holy grail at the end of the movie. That is the warehouse I want...gives a guy a little breathing room to expand.

Even here at work, the main building has filled to capacity, and the armour as well as some of the M-series vehicles have been moved outside and most of the armour tarped. We got one storage shed put up a few years back along with warehouse shelving. It is now full beyond capacity, so the sea cans started. Just got the 4th one last fall, along with 3 of the 12 foot office containers from the MLVWs.

It never ends....the stuff just keeps coming. A year and a half back 18 pallets of Bofors parts showed up. I managed to pare it down a bit, but in the end there was another half can worth of material.

Tony Smith 01-06-22 01:54

1 Attachment(s)
The sacrifice of those books means that we will treasure and value the copies that we retain in our collections! :remember

REL 22-10-22 09:05

When books and magazines have to be recycled, that's the time to scan them to archival standards: spines cut off and pages fed through the scanner before going in the bin.

Of course donation to thrift store is another option.