MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   Tributes (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Rest In Peace, Geoff Winnington-Ball (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15832)

gordon 06-12-10 19:47

Very, very sad to hear that.

I'm not sure what we'll do without you.

http://www.gwim2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/GEOF01.jpg

Gordon

Richard Farrant 06-12-10 21:33

I was very sad to hear that Geoff has passed away. Condolences to his family and friends.

He has left a legacy in the form of MLU and can be content with the fact that it has joined a great many people together from all corners of the World, with similar interests.

R.I.P. Geoff :salute:

ron 06-12-10 23:09

Geoff

well I am afraid that i am not very good with words, when I found this site years ago I thought that it was fantastic put together by a man with vision,having found out this morning that Geoff has passed away has really knocked me sideways,his shoes will be very hard to fill, rest in peace old soldier you will never be forgotton, Ron

Peter Nenadovich 06-12-10 23:39

I am shocked and very sorry to hear of Geoff's passing. Thank-you for creating Maple Leaf Up and bringing together a worldwide network of friends and enthusiasts. Condolences to Mr. Winnington-Ball's family.

Peter Nenadovich

S LATHERON 06-12-10 23:41

Farewell!

To Geoffs Family and friends and the global community of MLU where ever you are, we will all miss the work that Geoff did without complaint on everybodies behalf. A truly sad day.

Rest in peace Geoff, we will remember you . :salute: :salute:

Craig Tanner 07-12-10 01:21

Rest in Peace

My deepest condolences to Geoff's family. Geoff, Thank you so much for Maple Leaf Up. It was an honour to have met you.

Craig Tanner
Burton N.B

Jeff Gordon 07-12-10 02:26

Goodbye Geoff,
so glad to have met you.
You will be missed world wide!:remember
Cheers

maple_leaf_eh 07-12-10 05:02

The older I get, the more dead people I know. Sorry to hear Sunray has been struck off active strength.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

On a more pragmatic note, I hope the admins have had a meeting of the minds to keep MLU running and adequately funded.

David DeWeese 07-12-10 05:16

Farewell, Geoff

My deepest sympathy and heartfelt Condolences go out to your family and friends.
The right words don't seem to come as I type this on the forum you created.
You will undoubtably live on throught the fond memories held by your loved ones and the other lives you have touched, and the members of this unique global community you have created and nurtured.
You will be sorely missed by all...
God Bless You and Rest in Peace.
David

Michael Dorosh 07-12-10 05:34

A couple years ago I nominated him for the Order of Canada, the only time I was moved to do such a thing. I didn't think I had a chance of it going through, and wasn't sure how Geoff would feel about such a thing. True to form, I got a high-and-mighty sounding brush off from the G-G's secretary, but I was glad I had gone through the process. My rationale was that the history of our military is not, should not, just be left in the hands of the Ph.D's and "the guv'mint", as Geoff called it, but additionally, the grass roots and the guys who were there in the grass should have their say. I think Geoff demonstrated that, and lived it, beautifully with his work with MLU and especially the Kangaroos. I hope his work here is perpetuated. That would mean much more than silly honours that fellows like Alan Eagleson get and give up.

Oh, when I fessed up about the nomination after running into him in Ottawa on the anniversary of VE-Day, he just chuckled and said "you bugger."

So long, Geoff.

Ken Hughes 07-12-10 06:12

OMG,So sorry to here of Jiffs passing,my condolences to his family and friends,i do like the videos of Jiff polishing gears in a CMP down under.

Sally Ann 07-12-10 06:19

For those that wish to send cards of condolence

Shawn asked that the cards of condolence be sent to his address.

Shawn Winnington-Ball
177 Park Street Apt. A
Waterloo Ontario
N2L 1Y7 CANADA

Lynn Eades 07-12-10 07:49

Geoff

What to say....I never met you. I knew little of your personal life, Sally Ann, your cats, your family.
Jif,
For what you have done via your MLU.
For the knowledge I have gained.
For all the Carriers, (and old trucks)that have and will go together, better.
For the friends I have made. Those I have already met, and those not yet.
These things have only happened, because of you.
You have enrichened the lives of many of us.
Each post is testament to what you have done.
Thankyou Geoff. Rest in Peace.:remember

Ryan 07-12-10 08:58

Rip

I have just read of his passing and I am shocked. Jif will be sorely missed around here. Always positive and supportive and defensive of his MLU community. I am very saddened to hear of this terrible news.
My best to his family and close friends.
Rest in peace Geoff, and thank you for your help and encouragment in the four years I have been a member here.
Regards
Ryan

Dean (Ajax) 07-12-10 10:38

So VERY Sorry to hear this..he has done a lot to keep Canadian Military History alive.
RIP
Dean

lynx42 07-12-10 10:54

Geoff Winnington-Ball.

Well Geoff, The members of Khaki Vehicle Enthusiasts Inc. (KVE Inc.) will miss you. You attended our event here in Australia in 2007 'The Corowa Swim-In' and it was a pleasure to meet you.

Thank you for MLU. It is one of the best forums on the net and that is because of your imput as founder and administrator. A fair man and one who will be missed by so many. May MLU continue in your memory.

Thank you Geoff and our sympathies to your family and those left behind.

RIP Geoff Winnington-Ball

Rick Cove
President Khaki Vehicle Enthusiasts Inc.

Ganmain Tony 07-12-10 11:18

Having trouble finding the right words

Had the priviledge of Geoffs company when he stayed at Ganmain during his visit down under. I remember him saying it was "the flattest god dam piece of country" he'd ever seen.

I will miss him and I hope our little community he worked tirelessly to create, survives and thrives. His memory will live on through this wonderful, special little optic fibre world of ours.......

I realise he often said he was born a generation too late, but i'm sure as heck glad he did live in this one or MLU may never have exisited.

He has a wonderful legacy ...... I'll always think of him whenever I visit here.

Farewell Geoff

Ken Smith 07-12-10 11:42

What a shock

I do enjoy MLU so much and have really appreciated the effort put in by Geoff to keep it going.
My sincere condolences to Geoffs family.
Ken

Willanthry 07-12-10 12:18

I never had the privilege of meeting Mr Winnington-Ball, but having seen plenty of his work on the site and elsewhere, and having read the tributes already written, I feel like I've certainly missed a truly great man. Thank you sir; and to use a naval expression, fair winds and following seas to you! I offer my sincere condolences to his family and those close to him.

rob love 07-12-10 16:56

Crap; I go away one weekend with no computer, and this happens. What a shocker, although he was noticeably absent the last few weeks.

The Canadian Mil Veh collecting fraternity will always owe a debt of gratitude to Geoff for providing us with this meeting place, and hopefully the the MLU will survive as his legacy.

Harry Moon 07-12-10 17:45

Our lives wre enriched by his dedication

Sad Sad news. Our prayers of support to his family, freinds and loved ones.

Harry, Claire Harrison and Alexander Moon:remember

Don Dingwall 07-12-10 18:00

A huge hole to fill

Condolences to his family.

I think we all owe him a great debt of gratitude. He has provided us with the central meeting place for this group of knuckle smashers from all over.
Hopefully we find a way to keep it going.

Geoff....may you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you're dead.

Have one for me.

Don

Eric B 07-12-10 19:44

Thank You

Thank You Geoff for all that you have done for the MV world.

You presence will be missed.

On behalf of the OMVA i would like to pass on my condolences to your family and friends.

Eric B

Editor CMP Magazine
OMVA

Matt Baker 07-12-10 20:35

Unfortunately i never had the chance to meet with Sunray and thank him for bringing our fraternity closer together, he will be sorely missed, my condolences to his family, may he Rest In Peace.

Farewell Sunray.

Matt Baker.

hrpearce 07-12-10 21:37

I never met Geoff, but seeing the picture Jan posted I now realise I wlked past him in the crowd at my first Corowa. I only made a mad dash to Corowa that year as I only found out about the event on the Friday morning. I did meet Keith Webb there and was incouraged to restore my blitz. Once the wheels were set in motion MLU was a great help to me. THANK YOU GEOFF you will be remembered forever. :salute::remember

colin jones 07-12-10 21:43

What a shock!!! Never met him personally but exchanged written conversations. Too young to go and will be sadly missed.
R.I.P. Jeff. Sincere condolences to his family.
"You can take a body, but never the memory"
Colin and Simone Jones.
Adelaide
South Australia

Little Jo 07-12-10 23:45

Sad news

I never had the privelige of meeting Geoff, but through the MLU I felt I knew you. My sincere condolences to his family. I am sure as long as the MLU goes on you will be remembered.

Little Jo

25pdrfg 08-12-10 00:12

A sad parting what more can one say but Good Night Geoff. You will be missed Condolences to your family.

sapper740 08-12-10 00:15

Still in shock

Just now read this thread about Jefe's passing...and I'm still in shock. I had heard no news that he was ill so this has come as complete surprise. Most of you know I started calling Geoff by the monicker "Jefe" soon after moving to Texas. Jefe is a Hispanic term of respect, meaning "Boss". Geoff was the Boss of the best website regarding historic military vehicles and was a true patriot and will be sorely missed by all who knew him, either in real life or through this website.

Thank you for all you did for this community Jefe! :salute:

chris vickery 08-12-10 01:10

Deepest sympathies to your family. Geoff you were a great inspiration to the fellows that lurk here and will be dearly missed.
-Chris