MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Purlator theft (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30166)

Rob Fast 07-06-19 00:22

Purlator theft

Shipped a 17 pdr. projectile with Purlator out of Ontario , recieved an empty box with a slit down the side, and a pen marking of "HIP" on the side. Theft by someone in their crew. Pissed, they are of no help.

Mike Cecil 07-06-19 01:45

Is that PUROLATOR shipping, Rob?

So they should go on everyone's 'blacklist-not to be used'.

Mike

rob love 07-06-19 05:08

Bugger, that's got to hurt.

Often, courier companies can figure out where the loss occurred by the total weights of the shipments. When the weight of the shipment ends up about 17 pounds less that the sum of the bills of lading, they will have found their leak.

On the other hand, if it was going by air and got x-rayed, it likely would have been pulled as a dangerous good.

chris vickery 07-06-19 16:41

At risk of sounding obvious, did you inquire as to the acronym HIP?
I suspect as Rob does that it was pulled at the sorting center as Dangerous Goods at x-ray. While Purolator does handle DG cargo, it does need to be declared as such and handled accordingly. And yes, we all know its not really DG, but an inert item but the yo-yos there don't know that.
If this is/was the case I'm surprised it didn't make National News coverage... :giveup

David Dunlop 08-06-19 03:43

Seems to me if this was a legitimate seizure of goods, those doing the seizing would be obligated to advise the shipper and/or receiver of the action taken and this information would have been made available to Rob and/or Purolator. They would also not bother to continue to send on an empty box. That makes absolutely no sense at all.

Proof of the pudding will be if the parcel had insurance. If it was a legitimate seizure, no insurance for loss will be paid. If it was stolen, a payout will eventually be made.

David

chris vickery 08-06-19 17:46

Well David, tell that to FedEx. I had a shipment come to me as an empty and torn open box without explanation
It was a hell
of a time trying to sort out who needed to pay who for that one.

Rob Fast 04-07-19 01:14

Good news.

1 Attachment(s)
After no help on line, I took the empty box and pics of the projectile down to their warehouse in WPG. and I caught the attention of a very helping lady who said she would investigate. She found the projectile , which had fallen out of the poorly packed box in Markam, sitting in their locked room for similar items. I had it a day later. Just last week I used Purlator again to ship a complete 17 pdr. round, received no problem. A nice ending. Rob

Wayne Hingley 04-07-19 03:49

Wow Very nice! ... glad to hear that you received it Rob!

Tony Smith 04-07-19 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Fast (Post 261726)
She found the projectile , which had fallen out of the poorly packed box in Markam, sitting in their locked room for similar items.

Is that pic of their "locked room"? Remarkable that a shipping company should provide a space just for misplaced Artillery Projectiles. They must lose a lot! :D

chris vickery 06-07-19 18:13

So, so not much of a "theft" per se rather than a crappy packing job...
I just received damaged goods from a seller due to his packing job.
Must just be me, but I always overkill the shipping container to make sure any of my buyers goods arrive in the same way as I send them :teach:
Such a shame, too, especially when sending odd or rare items

Paul Singleton 06-07-19 18:38

Packaging

I sent an 8cwt rim to the prairie. To save weight it wasn’t packed at all. I wrote the address on the rim with marker and Purolator attached their label. All that was said was that Purolator wouldn’t be responsible for damage during shipping. James received his rim With no problems.
Paul