MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   WW2 Military History & Equipment (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Junior Wiles cooker (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8109)

Jeff Gordon 17-02-07 11:32

Junior Wiles cooker

http:// DSC03127.JPG
Hi,
A friend and I just purchased a couple of Wiles junior cookers and am looking for some information on them.
Jeff

Jeff Gordon 17-02-07 11:36

I tried to post an Image of them :bang:
jeff

oztankboy 17-02-07 12:59

Hi there mate!

well i have the parts and opp manual for the 4 wheel cooker so may be of use to you mate. Also know a guy in Sydney that has one and did it up. Just be aware that the insulation is that nasty stuff :eek:

Phil... :salute:

Vets Dottir 17-02-07 22:37

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Gordon
I tried to post an Image of them :bang:
jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'll send you a private message with my email address if you want to send me the photo and I'll try to post it for you, so check your PM's ;)

Karmen

Vets Dottir 18-02-07 01:36

1 Attachment(s)
:fry:

Vets Dottir 18-02-07 01:40

1 Attachment(s)
:fry: 2

Vets Dottir 18-02-07 01:41

1 Attachment(s)
:fry: 3

Vets Dottir 18-02-07 01:42

Wow. I did it!!! :D

:smoker:

Karmen

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 18-02-07 01:46

Good lord, look at the bloody thing... it's positively... err... ancient! BTW Jeff which one are you, the short bugger behind the cooker or the fat shit behind the jeep? :D

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 18-02-07 01:48

Quote:

Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Wow. I did it!!! :D

:smoker:

Karmen

Well done, Karmen! Thanks as always.

Vets Dottir 18-02-07 02:05

Quote:

Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Well done, Karmen! Thanks as always.
Thanks ... I got lucky I guess, as sometimes they'll resize and sometimes they won't, and I don't know why not when they don't :eek:

Karmen

cliff 18-02-07 04:17

1 Attachment(s)
were these the same as the units mounted in the 4 wheeled trailers during WW2?

Cheers
Cliff :)

oztankboy 18-02-07 09:39

Hi there Cliff!

Well the 4 wheel cooker was basicly the same thing just bigger to catter for more diggers at a time.

oztankboy 18-02-07 09:46

Hey Geff!

The guy mentioned on your thread in G503 is the same guy in Sydney I was reffereing to.

cliff 18-02-07 09:57

Quote:

Originally posted by oztankboy
Hi there Cliff!

Well the 4 wheel cooker was basicly the same thing just bigger to catter for more diggers at a time.

The reason I asked was I was after some basic measurements for model making but as the two units are different I will just have to keep looking for the right one.

Cheers
Cliff :)

oztankboy 18-02-07 10:03

Hi Cliff!

Well I have a fairly complete 4 wheel cooker here just some of the sheet metal needs replacing.

Jeff Gordon 18-02-07 10:59

Hi all,
Geoff no thats a mate Nigel Ward. The short bugger is my son Will, I took the photo.
Phill does your manual mention the 2 wheel? I will definatilly contact that guy in Sydney.
They were made in the later part of WW2 and used by the Army untill 1980 (so I am told).
I dont know what years our 2 are.
Jeff

oztankboy 18-02-07 15:51

Hi Jeff!

Well my manual is for the 4 wheel cooker but a lot of the parts and proceedures would be the same.

I went to a auction at Morebank Army Camp in Sydney around 87~88 and they sold off about 6 2 wheel cookers. A couple of others, the pick of the crop were diverted prior to the auction and went to the RAE museum as well as a 4 wheel cooker.

Most of the 2 wheel cookers were all the same but some had different length draw bars.

When you talk to Tom R in Sydney say g~day from me!

Bob Moseley (RIP) 18-02-07 20:57

Hi all
This site has plenty of information about the history of the cookers and the Wiles Family. I also have some images archived somewhere of one I restored for the Museum. I can dig them out if required but there is plenty of information around as are the units themselves.

http://www.nashos.org.au/wiles.htm

Bob

Mike Kelly 19-02-07 01:36

VMVC

A VMVC member had , at one point in the late 1980's , a fully working WW2 Wiles cooker ( not sure if it was a senior or junior ) , he towed it behind a 1950's ex army Inter truck .

He used to cook up meals for the club on various club trips . Sadly, he passed away and he whole outfit was put up for sale . Don't know what became of it .

Mike

oztankboy 19-02-07 03:44

Hi there Mike!

Well i am betting it is the one I have up here in Qld as it still bares the VMVC logo in the tac plate holder.

Jeff Gordon 24-02-07 11:31

Hi all,
I just discovered a photo of a restored one in my computer that was taken at Bandiana when I was there for Corowa 2005.
We are going this year so I will take a better look at it.

Phill, remember we had a good look at your cooker not long back, I recon it should be your next project!
Jeff

Ian Pullen 06-03-07 12:10

Wiles Cookers

The unit in the 4 wheel trailer set up is basically the same unit as in the Junior but with additional plumbing for the Bain Maries ( I think the spelling is right!).
Bob would be keen to know that they were a South Australian invention.
As for the cooker on the floor at Bandiis, it has been temporarily relocated to another shed while the Catering display is refurbished.

Les Freathy 06-03-07 22:28

1 Attachment(s)
A good friend in Aus Laurie Wright sent me this photo a number of years ago. Laurie took the photo on 20.5.79 at Holsworthy range where it served with 23 field regt
Les

Jeff Gordon 07-03-07 08:17

Hey thanks for the photo Les!
Ian, are you saying the two wheel one is not there anymore because I have a photo showing all three, 4wheel, 2 wheel and the stationary one on the floor in 2005. I will have a look an a weeks time anyway.
Jeff