MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   For Sale Or Wanted (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Found: Safety & Warning Decals (Canadian M-series vehicles) (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26959)

Wayne Hingley 09-02-17 02:47

Safety & Warning Decals (Canadian M-series vehicles)

3 Attachment(s)
I am looking for a source for the following safety and warning decals, as found on my M38A1. I believe most of these decals were used on several different vehicles for many years from the 60's or 70's right through into the 90's.

Please pm me if you have any of these decals, or know where they can be purchased. Thanks.

r.morrison 12-02-17 03:29

Long shots.....

Hi Wayne: I think your on a "Long Shot Wish List". As the owner of an M38A1, I've never seen those for sale anywhere. And not that I'm an expert in that area. If you you run into a brick wall, talk to a printer in Calgary and see if they can duplicate them through a good photograph and measurements. If you can peel them off with a heat gun/putty knife even better for the printer.
I had a set of United Nations Decals reproduced through a set that was kindly given to us. You couldn't tell them from the originals!
Keep us posted and good luck....Robert :thup2:

maple_leaf_eh 12-02-17 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by r.morrison (Post 234468)
Hi Wayne: I think your on a "Long Shot Wish List". As the owner of an M38A1, I've never seen those for sale anywhere. And not that I'm an expert in that area. If you you run into a brick wall, talk to a printer in Calgary and see if they can duplicate them through a good photograph and measurements. If you can peel them off with a heat gun/putty knife even better for the printer.
I had a set of United Nations Decals reproduced through a set that was kindly given to us. You couldn't tell them from the originals!
Keep us posted and good luck....Robert :thup2:

Whoops! Shouldn't that be "Keep us pasted and good luck."

David Dunlop 12-02-17 17:00

The fire warning decal used to be available from Surplus City in California. Never seen the second one. The last one I have only ever seen as a red paint stencil on the underside of the hood, right side when standing infront of the vehicle.

David

rob love 12-02-17 17:10

I have an original of the first one sitting in front of me now, and I brought my last copy of the third one to work a hile bakc where it is under the glass on the top of my desk. I could provide those for samples if you want to get them copied.

I'll have to look into the middle one....not sure I would have bothered saving any of those. I do have the ones for turning off the radios before starting or stopping the vehicle....that was another one that was usually on the Jeeps.

chris vickery 12-02-17 17:38

I am pretty positive that I know where to get most of these if the guy is still doing them.
I have example which I purchased two years ago of most of them.
I will contact the vendor and get details. He is not a MLU subscriber

Wayne Hingley 12-02-17 18:04

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you all for the leads and help. My plan "B" was to make repros of any that I cannot source through existing channels. If I need to do that, I will check to see if any others here would like copies made (Im sure it would be less expensive to make several at the same time). I will follow up with each of you on these leads.

David: You are correct, on the older jeeps the "Pressurized Cooling System" warning was a stencil. You mention "red" paint. On my 1953 M38A1, the stencil is under the hood in white letters (see photo). I suspect that sometime between 1953 and 1967, they switched from stencil to decal... or perhaps there was a combination of both methods.

David Dunlop 12-02-17 19:52

Rob.

Were there two versions of the radio warning decal?

My M38CDN had a long skinny yellow and black water transfer decal located above the instrument cluster, on the cowl sheet metal strip which folded down over the top of the dash panel. But I seem to also recall a chunky rectangular version as well. Not sure if it was water decal or stick on.

David

Update: the warning decal I had in mind was the long thin Bell Housing Drain Plug Warning, not the radio warning. Me bad!

r.morrison 13-02-17 04:06

Hat in the ring....

Gentlemen....If Chris can come up with some originals, I'm in for a set. IF we have to go to "Plan B".... I would be willing to take any original samples and have them reproduced here and share the costs with any one who jumps in at the start. The originals would be returned to the owners. The remainder could be sold off to anyone with an M38A1.
Food for thought....Robert :cheers:

r.morrison 13-02-17 04:09

Oh....and by the way....

Terry....slow day eh! Just shoot me! .....R :no4:

rob love 13-02-17 06:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Dunlop (Post 234520)
Rob.

Were there two versions of the radio warning decal?

My M38CDN had a long skinny yellow and black water transfer decal located above the instrument cluster, on the cowl sheet metal strip which folded down over the top of the dash panel. But I seem to also recall a chunky rectangular version as well. Not sure if it was water decal or stick on.

David

Update: the warning decal I had in mind was the long thin Bell Housing Drain Plug Warning, not the radio warning. Me bad!

There were in fact two variations to the "turn radio off...." decals. There was a long one, about 24 inches with yellow and silver on it. Then there was a rectangular orange one. You would have one or the other...not usually both.

Frank v R 13-02-17 22:54

Decals

Rob , I have seen the long one as decal in both red and yellow and also both in data plate form.

rob love 28-02-17 06:45

If you still need some Wayne I found a half dozen downstairs that I didn't know I had. Shoot me a PM.

Wayne Hingley 17-04-17 04:57

1 Attachment(s)
I think I now have a complete set of Decals for an M38A1. Rob found a few, and I had some tucked away inside the pages of a manual. I also have a new CFR decal for my CDN 2, that I got from Oldlithgow. Thanks guys.

I am planning to get copies of these decals made. If anyone wants some, let me know. I will check with some printers in Calgary and get some info on the cost.

The photo below shows an example of each. Let me know if I'm missing any.

Kolten Hooper 18-04-17 01:03

PM sent Wayne.

chris vickery 18-04-17 01:30

Wayne, sorry my guy didn't work out.
If you were to put decal packages together I for one would likely purchase several sets...

r.morrison 18-04-17 04:18

Same here.....

Hi Wayne: I'd be up for a set or 2 if your going the whole route. Let me know and I'll pm you.
Cheers....Robert

Wayne Hingley 18-04-17 04:47

Thanks guys. PM's back to everyone so far.

Grant Hopkins 18-04-17 05:26

2 Attachment(s)
Here is another radio warning decal Wayne. The long one across the windshield of my CDN2. Sorry about the quality of the photos but they were taken on a film camera in 1989

Grant Hopkins 18-04-17 05:30

1 Attachment(s)
Seat belt and radio decal location on a M38A1 CDN2 for reference

Wayne Hingley 18-04-17 06:14

Great reference Grant. Thanks for posting the photos. I don't recall ever seeing the long one before. That's a real attention grabber.

rob love 18-04-17 10:07

Notice that the radio decal is applied over the french half of the seat belt decal. This was not exactly the official nor authorized application. Not saying that I wouldn't have done it myself back then, there was a lot of animosity on the bilingualism subject in those days.

Grant Hopkins 24-04-17 07:50

1 Attachment(s)
Found this one on the inside of the cowl battery door on my spare M38A1 CDN 2 when I went to charge it up to move it around the yard. Do you have it on your list Wayne?

Wayne Hingley 24-04-17 16:16

Interesting. That's a new one for me Grant. On my CDN2 under the battery compartment cover, it has the "FIRE WARNING" decal. If you get a chance can you send me the dimensions of that one (including the height of the font)? I'll see if it can be created.

Wayne Hingley 24-04-17 16:19

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I have on my battery cover:

rob love 24-04-17 17:18

1 Attachment(s)
The long radio warning decal that is beneath the windshield is still used today, however, they changed the colouring of it about 30 years back. Shown is one that is kicking around my desk at work.

Wayne Hingley 24-04-17 19:04

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant Hopkins (Post 236807)
Here is another radio warning decal Wayne. The long one across the windshield of my CDN2. Sorry about the quality of the photos but they were taken on a film camera in 1989

Grant, its interesting how this particular jeep had both versions of the radio warning decals. I guess they really wanted to get the message across. Does this jeep have anything posted under the hood (ex: Fire Warning, or Cooling System)?

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but there is also the warning label that is posted on the cover of the alternator. That was standard to the component itself.

45jim 27-04-17 16:40

Long radio warning decal

I believe that radio decal originated with the M113 series vehicles. I did see it on several 5 ton's (mostly wreckers that had radio installations added) as well. I have seen both adhesive decals and printed ones on Aluminum or Zinc strips.

I did have an old photo of Militia M38A1's (early 80's) from my old unit and they didn't have that decal. But then again it was an Infantry unit and no radio installation (tray and 1780 box IFIRC) was fitted, just a manpack radio so it was not getting power from the alternator so no need for the decal, must have been part of the installation kit. I didn't see the "no smoking in DND vehicles" and "headlights must be on" ones. Perhaps I didn't look close enough.

rob love 27-04-17 17:45

I chacked the NSNs for both the long decal and the rectangular warning decals. The long one is generic with no ERN attached to it, which indicates that there would not have been a cfto asking for it. The rectangular one does have the M113 family along with the AVGP associated with it, so it would have been in a CFTO somewhere to install that decal. The rectangular one is now obsolete.

rick25 25-06-17 17:48

1 Attachment(s)
A bit late to the party. I have both decals under my battery lid. Cfr number 67-07809

Attachment 91727