MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Sergeants' Mess (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Goodbye, old friend (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29320)

Darrell Zinck 08-09-18 19:02

Goodbye, old friend

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

(Mods, feel free to delete if too far off topic)

I was lucky to not have some of the problems that plagued the 2003 Jetta TDIs and managed to put on 350K+ kms on her with a little more than routine maintenance. Well.........that's almost true! She had been coast to coast a few times and was the Family's main method of transport for many years. Dad's runabout in later years. My Daughters called her "Silvia, the elegant Lady".

Maybe not worthy of a "Tribute" thread but she was good girl who served me well. A failed torque converter finally put her down. Off to a TDI scrapper to keep a few others alive.

I hope the picture is familiar to some. Maybe not a US Cavalry MB but...........Sniff. :(

regards
Darrell

maple_leaf_eh 09-09-18 05:44

Well, I'm only half way there with my '03 TDI Wagon. You have good taste in cars.

Marc - Belgium 09-09-18 10:41

Hi Darrell, did you have a guard of honour present at the send-off as well? :salute: :)

rob love 09-09-18 13:57

This is why one buys acreage...so one may send it out to pasture rather than dealing with it. That way you might get the time to restore it one day.

Darrell Zinck 10-09-18 16:37

Hi Rob

I have almost 2 acres, actually. However, my 9-er Domestic has a thing about me not piling up any sort of "I'll get to it Later" items. I'm told that all mechanical conveyances were particularly mentioned in the agreement that I signed, while asleep!! :doh:

Marc,

No, there was no Guard. Perhaps I should have played a trumpet Lament on my phone! :drunk:

I had a neighbour in Casteau-Hainaut many years ago who helped me paint my first VW; a 1978 Polo, in the back yard with house paint.

Terry

I do. I envy you having yours still. Ahh well, VW No. 9 is now in the drive. :)

regards
Darrell

'78 Polo
'72 Ghia
'71 Baja Bee
'84 Jetta GL D
'96 Golf CL
'03 Jetta TDI Wagen
'09 Jetta TDI Wagen
'12 Tiguan TSI
'12 Golf 2.5l

Robert Bergeron 12-09-18 03:07

If Volks are so good at making cars and SUV’s how come they came up with the @%#$&*+-!!! ing Iltis ? Sorry for your loss Darrel. Our thoughts are with you .

maple_leaf_eh 12-09-18 05:24

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron (Post 253836)
If Volks are so good at making cars and SUV’s how come they came up with the @%#$&*+-!!! ing Iltis ? Sorry for your loss Darrel. Our thoughts are with you .

I think the gun was pointed horizontally during Iltis negotiations not towards the engine block.

Tim Bell 12-09-18 09:44

Surely a Viking Burial for such a proud warrior would be better?

Darrell Zinck 13-09-18 02:40

Thanks, Robert.

Hi Tim

I thought about it; had access to some API . ;)

In the old days, I'd have put a 208 litre drum of Naptha in the back and set her 900m down range of a Leopard but...........it's 2018. :whinge

Also the money in my pocket isn't too bad. She was in great shape otherwise having had VW do the hatch and quarter panels on warranty, a good sunroof, a/c rig, engine, etc. Plenty of other usable bits. A previously assembled stock of spares that went to the right guy. :D

regards
Darrell