MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   RAF vehicles (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4991)

Les Freathy 24-11-05 00:37

raf vehicles

1 Attachment(s)
evening guys
thought i would start a new thread on RAF vehicles. i dont see one in the forum but do not know if there has been one in the past. As most of you will be aware the numbers and types used ran into thousands and hundreds including some interesting items used only by the RAF. Hope fully i look forward to your contributions and images on this one of my pet subjects, here are some photos of Ford WOT 1 and1A the foam tender and a signals van the latter taken P.W at aRuddington sale. I see no reason why WW2 vehicles used after the war or even ex RAF items cannot be included as long as they relate to the period in question
les

Les Freathy 24-11-05 00:39

2 Attachment(s)
signalsvan

rearview

Bill Murray 24-11-05 00:53

Les:
I think this is marvelous.

I am up to my arse in the Christmas maddness/selling season at my store but will try to contribute some stuff as well.

You may also want to consider Staff Cars, not only British but also US makes used by British and "Empire" forces. A huge variety of vehicles in that area.

I am now on a 7 day a week schedule at the store until January Ist or so but try to take an hour or so each day to input stuff.

Dinner time here now.

Regards
Bill

chris vickery 24-11-05 02:40

Les, I concur with Bill. Although I wish that I had some to add, it is nice to see some of the more unusual equipment.:salute:

Allan Hillman 24-11-05 14:29

RAF Bedfords & Austins

Hello Les

You started a piece on RAF vehicles just before me !!

Can anyone assist please - is it possible by my giving an RAF registration number for someone to provide a photo/drawing of the type of vehicles in question?

I have now found, via the National Archives of Australia, the 125 Wing ground echelon movement orders, and the actual Bedford 3 Ton truck that was used by my father (in 125 Wing Signals) from Ford to B.160 Kastrup/Copenhagen with 125 Wing "A" Party. Also that used by the late LAC Eric Moyle (in 125 Wing Electrical), also in the "A" Party.

My father (LAC J C Hillman) was in Bedford 3 Ton reg. no. 104880 of 125 Wing Signals - and LAC Eric Moyle was in Bedford 3 Ton reg. no. 104828 of 125 Wing Electrical, and Austin Power reg. no. 84040, also of 125 Wing Electrical, but from the "B" Party.

Can anyone also advise if it is possible to find out which No. LST these vehicles were loaded onto, and the date?

Happy to discuss this off-board if necessary, and I can send copies of the RAF "Allocation of Vehicles" as well.

cheers

Allan

Les Freathy 24-11-05 16:31

hello alan
Thanks for your item on RAF vehicles, im afraid i am not to clever when it comes to number plates but i am sure there are members who can come up with some sort of awnser. You did not state a date to give us an idea or where the unit was operating. AT the moment two trucks come immediatly to mind the 4x2 OY and the 4x4 QL i have photos of both but lets wait and see if the lads can get closer via the plate number
regards
les

Allan Hillman 24-11-05 16:46

Hello Les

I am taking the notation from an "Allocation of Vehicles" listing dated 13 July 1944 - when based at B.11 Longues-sur-Mer, where they had arrived on 24 June 1944 - stating "Given below is the final allocation of vehicles for all future moves of No. 125 Wing in "A" and "B" parties."

This is slightly different to the "Allocation of Vehicles" list as they moved to the Concentration Area as that is not broken down into "A" and "B" parties. But Dad's truck has the same driver and reg. no. in both documents.

Dad's truck was driven by Cpl Hall (John Marshall Hall) and I share his middle name - it is in his memory - as he died two months before I was born in 1946.

He was the first person that my father spoke to when he joined 125 Wing Signals and they remained firm friends until John's death.

Up to now I have prioritised on the Wing and Squadron history, but these Ground Echelon documents have only recently come to light on the web.

cheers

Allan

Les Freathy 24-11-05 17:17

just a thought Alan would this unit have been part of 2nd Tactical airforce the ground equipment landing soon after D Day to support the emergency landing strips
les

Allan Hillman 24-11-05 17:38

Hi Les

A little background information - working initially from advanced landing grounds built by airfield construction units, and taking over former Luftwaffe bases in Belgium, Holland and Germany, 125 Wing operated from landing 3 Squadrons (132, 453, 602) of Spitfire IX's and then, from mid-july '44, 4 Squadrons when 144 RCAF Wing was disbanded (taking over 441 Squadron) - it then changed over to become a Tempest V (80 & 274) and Spitfire XIV (130 & 402) Wing at B.70 Antwerp/Deurne in late September - a week later the Tempest V's moved to 122 Wing - then, with additions in December, it became an all Spitfire XIV Wing (41, 130, 402, 350, 610). - 402 moved over to join a fully Canadian Spitfire IX Wing at the end of '44

They were the first 2TAF unit to operate east of the Rhine - “The Spitfire squadrons of No. 125 Wing were the first to cross the river and station themselves at Twente, an airfield captured twenty-four hours earlier by the British Second Army.” Source: Royal Air Force 1939 – 1945 Volume III – The Fight is Won. - and was also the first into Denmark.

cheers

Allan

Les Freathy 24-11-05 18:11

1 Attachment(s)
Alan
Plenty of info coming from you so just for now 2 photos of the type of Bedfords i mentioned. These are army and i include them to help your research, trusting members will come closer with the truckin question

Les Freathy 24-11-05 18:13

1 Attachment(s)
and the QL 3 tonner

Allan Hillman 24-11-05 20:48

Hello Les

Nic pics - I have sent you a PM - send me an e-mail and I have copies of the "Allocation" docs I can send - plus some of RAF trucks myself that need identifying.

cheers

Allan

Hanno Spoelstra 25-11-05 13:31

Re: RAF "Allocation of Vehicles"

Quote:

Originally posted by Allan Hillman
I can send copies of the RAF "Allocation of Vehicles" as well.
Any mention anywhere of the Ford/Marmon-Herrington SnoGo snow blowers, of which about 80 were Lend-Leased to the RAF? I have seen one blurry pic of one in operation on an airfield in Holland, but would love to have more information about their use in Holland an/or NW Europe.

H.

Les Freathy 25-11-05 13:54

1 Attachment(s)
Hanno
is this what you are looking for
les

Les Freathy 25-11-05 14:07

1 Attachment(s)
Keeping the Ford WOT1 running for the moment heres a 6x4 photographic and printing truck

Hanno Spoelstra 25-11-05 15:27

Quote:

Originally posted by Les Freathy
is this what you are looking for
Les, yes, thanks for the pic. Looks like it is painted in the April 1946 onwards paint scheme of Blue/Grey on bodywork with wings, chassis and valances in paint semi gloss Black (ref. R.A.F. Ground Equipment Blue - paint specification).

What I'd love to read/see are details/pics of these in operation in Holland.

Cheers,
Hanno

Richard Farrant 25-11-05 20:11

RAF Humber staff cars

While on the subject of RAF vehicles, does anyone have records of RAF census / serial numbers for Humber Super Snipe staff cars?

To narrow it down, I am specifically interested in those obtained under Contract No. 294/23/S.8354, 150 cars for the RAF, priced at £483 10s. 5d. Date of order was 6th Jan. 1945. Chassis numbers, 8660501 to 8660650.

Welcome any good photos on actual RAF Snipes as well.

Richard

nuyt 25-11-05 20:19

is this a Ford Wot 1?

see here:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/33033...%2C+late+1940s

Richard Farrant 25-11-05 20:40

Re: is this a Ford Wot 1?

Quote:

Originally posted by ericnuyt
see here:

Eric,

It is a WOT1A1 1945 with 4 inch monitor. There were 3 types of these WOT1 airfield crash tenders, this one being the third one.

Richard

Les Freathy 26-11-05 00:06

2 Attachment(s)
Eric / Richard
A couple of photos of the WOT1A1 4" moniter note one with civvy number plates probably late 1940s
les

Rob Fast 26-11-05 02:13

Great thread guys...

I have always had a deep appreciation for the RCAF/RAF/RAAF slant on military history. This might be a good thread to include airfield motor pool sheds/ hangars/towers/dispersal etc... Cheers Rob

Les Freathy 26-11-05 22:14

Evening Rob
Not a bad idea, do you intend to include archive photos possbly with vehicles just to keep within the strain of the thread
Les

Rob Fast 27-11-05 00:12

A military vehicle...

in front of Nissen Huts etc... would be the ultimate pic. Military architecture has always facinated me, maybe people could also identify the type of building in the pic. Cheers Rob

Allan Hillman 29-11-05 19:11

Source of Photos

Les

Sorry to read you are recovering from a bad accident - get well soon - what is the source of all your photos please ?

cheers

Allan

Colin R 04-12-05 20:57

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry about the picture quality, but this is one of my favourites, lovely condition and covered in kit!

Les Freathy 06-12-05 23:40

1 Attachment(s)
Another for the RAF thread this one is a Fordson Sussex 6x4 ballon winch

Bill Murray 07-12-05 00:28

1 Attachment(s)
Great photo Les, great definition.
Here a Thorneycroft, possibly an Amazon
Bill

Alex van de Wetering 07-12-05 14:05

Les,

Great shot of the Balloon truck! Have you got anymore balloon trucks shots?

I have got two RAF-vehicles on top of my wish-list for scale models. One being the Commer Q2 with Queen Mary trailer and the second being the Fordson WOT1 Balloon truck.

Alex

David_Hayward (RIP) 07-12-05 20:00

WOT did you say?

1 Attachment(s)
Another, post-war [prior to rebuild] Fordson W0T1 6 x 4 Monitor for airfield crash duties. It is believed that this was a ‘Crash Tender’ in Ford, Dagenham parlance, supplied initially to the Ministry of Supply and RAF*. The chassis has the 6-wheeled Sussex long bogie with 7¾ inch articulation and special PTO, 10.50 x 16 tyres and powered by the 30 hp V-8.

*Explanation: Government, WD/Army and RAF vehicles were all purchased by the Ministry of Supply by 1941 taking over from the War Department and Air Ministry. Royal Navy and Marines vehicles continued to be purchased by the Admiralty.

Phil Waterman 08-12-05 01:31

Ground Equipment Picture From 1940

1 Attachment(s)
Below are a couple of pictures of ground equipment from an old book RAF In Action printed in 1940. Book is interesting because of having been written and published so early in the War. Lots of early aircraft photos as well.