MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   WW2 Military History & Equipment (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   WW 2 Bridging? (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7592)

J.P. Brescacin 11-12-06 00:58

WW 2 Bridging?

I've had this in the back of my head for awhile but when I thought about it I couldn't find the picture, when I had the picture I didn't have the time to post...now it's all come together. On a trip back to Italy years ago, we took a shortcut to avoid the highways (smart move in Italy as they are crazy over there, everybody thinks they're Villeneuve). We come across this bridge that to my military interested mind says leftover from WW2. I'm sure there is some expertise on this forum that can shed some light on the type etc. Have a look.Thanks.

J.P. Brescacin

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 11-12-06 05:12

Our Heritage...

1 Attachment(s)
Reckon the legacy of our forefathers is about for a bit, eh?

This is JP's photo:

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 11-12-06 05:24

Bailey Bridges

Gotta love 'em somehow. There's a 1944-dated Class 70 bridge up north of Matachewan... have to find the pics I took. There's also a Class 5 (hint for those of you who've known me longer than when Christ was a Corporal) bridge NE of Toronto, put up by 2 Field E after Hurricane Hazel in '53... a thing of beauty (the bridge, not the hurricane (unless it was a Mark II with a 3-bladed prop... oh, never mind)). I'll try to dig up pics of that as well. Any time I head that way with my kids (they're closing on 27 and 25), they shriek. "DAD!!!! WE KNOW ALL ABOUT THAT GODDAM BAILEY BRIDGE!!!! NOW GET BACK IN THE DAMN CAR AND STOP BLOCKING TRAFFIC!"

No educating the young these days, I tell you.

chris vickery 12-12-06 19:49

There is also a Bailey bridge somewhere south of Milton ON. I have racked my mind trying to remeber where exactly I saw it but it is on one of the old sideroads south of town. Been meaning to go into the public works yard there and ask because surely they will know about it...

RHClarke 12-12-06 21:32

Bailey's with Water

There are two short Baileys between Bruce Mines and Angus B's country estate. Didn't foresee the need for photos...

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 12-12-06 21:43

Re: Bailey's with Water

Quote:

Originally posted by RHClarke
There are two short Baileys between Bruce Mines and Angus B's country estate. Didn't foresee the need for photos...
See to it, then, chop-chop!

Vets Dottir 12-12-06 22:03

Re: Bailey Bridges

Quote:

Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
bridge NE of Toronto, put up by 2 Field E after Hurricane Hazel in '53... a thing of beauty (the bridge, not the hurricane (unless it was a Mark II with a 3-bladed prop... oh, never mind)). I'll try to dig up pics of that as well. Any time I head that way with my kids (they're closing on 27 and 25), they shriek. "DAD!!!! WE KNOW ALL ABOUT THAT GODDAM BAILEY BRIDGE!!!! NOW GET BACK IN THE DAMN CAR AND STOP BLOCKING TRAFFIC!"

And "see to it then chop chop" I say to you as well Sunray ... :D

Maybe when Eileen and Bob are driving you home after Christmas Dinner you'll have a camera to take pics of the bridge. I loved seeing it/driving over it when I was there those few times and hearing the history ... EVERY time we crossed it :D Kids get annoyed faster with re-educating :rolleyes

Ma Yappy

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 12-12-06 22:57

Re: Re: Bailey Bridges

Quote:

Originally posted by Vets Dottir
And "see to it then chop chop" I say to you as well Sunray ... :D

Maybe when Eileen and Bob are driving you home after Christmas Dinner you'll have a camera to take pics of the bridge. I loved seeing it/driving over it when I was there those few times and hearing the history ... EVERY time we crossed it :D Kids get annoyed faster with re-educating :rolleyes

Ma Yappy

Ma, don't get cheeky with me!! :D

Actually, I'm gonna go up to Eileen's on Christmas Eve on the bus, and spend two days. My children are driving up Boxing Day and will drive me back down that night. I WILL make them take The Bridge... :D

BTW, people 'Eileen' is my stepmom, and was married to my dad for 35 years before his death. 'Bob' is a mutual friend of theirs living with her now. He's a hell of a good man, and I believe my dad would be happy with this arrangement. I certainly am. :salute:

Vets Dottir 12-12-06 23:13

Re: Re: Re: Bailey Bridges

Quote:

Ma, don't get cheeky with me!! :D

Actually, I'm gonna go up to Eileen's on Christmas Eve on the bus, and spend two days. My children are driving up Boxing Day and will drive me back down that night. I WILL make them take The Bridge... :D

Then the children shall be informed to please take a digital camera, unless you have one of your own by then, and to try and drive via the bridge when still light enough for photos ... for uploading to MLU ... CO----RRECT? ;)

Bob and Eileen are awesome good fun and company, and wonderful hostess and host! I hope you'll spread Christmas hugs to them all, Shawn and Ashley included, for me for Christmas when there :)

It's not in my nature to NOT be cheeky :p

RHClarke 13-12-06 00:36

Re: Re: Bailey's with Water

Quote:

See to it, then, chop-chop!
Well, it may not be as chop-chop! as you may wish, but there is another trip in the future to Bruce Mines - particularly if the elusive Forestry Service HUP fleet is located...got that Bob??

Grant Bowker 13-12-06 01:51

Another Bailey or its descendant...

is located just west of CFB Chilliwack (erected by the Engineers based there) on the road leading to Abbotsford and Vancouver. It is a great way to avoid driving North to the Trans Canada and then Southwest in order to get to the same place. Needless to say the locals love being able to make the crossing, even if they don't all know or appreciate the history of the bridge. Again, no photos, the last time I was out there the RCMP had taken over most of the base, the H-huts that had lasted for over 60 years of use and abuse had been flattened and thankfully the hated gas hut had met a similar fate. It is depressing how often we seem to put up a major complex at a base just in time to close the base.

Location added if you want to Google Earth to see why the locals find it so useful: N49°06'11" W122°04'39"

Jon Skagfeld 30-12-06 19:51

Quote:

Gotta love 'em somehow. There's a 1944-dated Class 70 bridge up north of Matachewan... have to find the pics I took. There's also a Class 5 (hint for those of you who've known me longer than when Christ was a Corporal) bridge NE of Toronto, put up by 2 Field E after Hurricane Hazel in '53... a thing of beauty (the bridge, not the hurricane (unless it was a Mark II with a 3-bladed prop... oh, never mind)). I'll try to dig up pics of that as well. Any time I head that way with my kids (they're closing on 27 and 25), they shriek. "DAD!!!! WE KNOW ALL ABOUT THAT GODDAM BAILEY BRIDGE!!!! NOW GET BACK IN THE DAMN CAR AND STOP BLOCKING TRAFFIC!"

An entrepreneur by the name of Paul Weber somehow worked a deal with the city of Toronto to buy a Bailey Bridge which crossed Lakeshore Blvd at the CNE grounds.

He had it transported to a location on Hwy 11 around Orillia way and had it erected over the highway.

Since his business was on the east side of the road (thereby capturing northbound traffic), the bridge then also captured southbound traffic.

His business success was/is phenomenal.

It's Weber's...a mandatory stop for cottagers and tourists and fairly famous in its own right.

I wonder how many of the hundreds of thousands of diners there realize the background to the Bailey Bridge which looms over them as they munch down?

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 30-12-06 19:59

Re: Re: Bailey Bridges

I'd forgotten about Weber's! Best damned burgers in Central Ontario! Haven't been there for eons, and have to confess I didn't know the origin of that bridge as well. :o

Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
An entrepreneur by the name of Paul Weber somehow worked a deal with the city of Toronto to buy a Bailey Bridge which crossed Lakeshore Blvd at the CNE grounds.

He had it transported to a location on Hwy 11 around Orillia way and had it erected over the highway.

Since his business was on the east side of the road (thereby capturing northbound traffic), the bridge then also captured southbound traffic.

His business success was/is phenomenal.

It's Weber's...a mandatory stop for cottagers and tourists and fairly famous in its own right.

I wonder how many of the hundreds of thousands of diners there realize the background to the Bailey Bridge which looms over them as they munch down?

Hanno Spoelstra 01-01-07 20:46

1 Attachment(s)
In the Netherlands there is a Bailey bridge between Hoogkerk and Leek/Roden. Reportedly, this one is of WW2 vintage. Picture goes attached.

H.

Mike Timoshyk 01-01-07 22:34

Baily Bridge Golan Heights

If I remember correctly there is a Baily Bridge used to cross the Jordan River at the foot of the Golan Heights....we crossed it enroute to CANLOG...I will have to dig out my old photos....I know it is a little far to travel to....just my 2 cents worth.

Bill Mulholland 01-01-07 23:10

Bailey Bridge

You are correct Mike. Crossed it many times.
Cheers, Bill

Mike Timoshyk 01-01-07 23:15

Golan Heights

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Bill,

Did you ever come across this.....the stuff you find when you don't have a tool box!!!!

mike mckinley 02-01-07 03:35

1 Attachment(s)
hi all

here is a pic of a section of bridging on display at gagetown. i took this pic while visiting with bill mulholland last fall......a great day indeed!!

mike

Tim Sullivan 03-01-07 16:50

Two Baileys in Hamilton....

You'll find not one but TWO bridges in Hamilton....and one you can see from the 403 to boot.

The first bridges the drainage canal that leads into Coote's Paradise, and is used for pedestrian traffic that goes along a waterfront trail. It's pretty covered up with wood, but those with an eagle eye will be able to spot it from the highway no problem....

The other one I "found" last year while going to my Grandmother's Interrment. We were heading to Woodland Cemetary, and had turned onto Valley Inn Rd off of York Blvd (right at the RBG), we headed down a hill into the valley, and what was sitting in front of me? I exclaimed to my wife, "Holy S&*T, it's a Bailey Bridge!!!". Of course, my dear old Dad has known about it for years now, and it's simply slipped his mind to mention it ;) He tells me that it was erected by the Army in the 60s, I guess either shore is owned by diferent municipalities, one side Hamilton, one side Burlington....I guess a garbage truck went thru the original bridge that was there so the Army threw up the Bailey as a temporary fix while the municipalities could bicker about who was going to pay what for the new bridge.....40 years later it's still there ;)

Google Sattelite photo here:

http://www.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF-8&o...l=en&tab=wl&q=

Now that I think about it, both Bailey bridges are within 1 km of each other too...the one I sent the satellite photo to would be a GREAT bailey to take period photos around as well....the road is pretty old, there is nothing modern surrounding it, and I even think the bridge still has wood planking for the decking (if memory serves me correctly).

Tim

Hendrik van Oorspronk 03-01-07 17:17

1 Attachment(s)
A bridge on a bridge :cheers:

Hendrik

Dirk Leegwater (RIP) 04-01-07 17:53

Quote:

Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
In the Netherlands there is a Bailey bridge between Hoogkerk and Leek/Roden.
An other bridge in the Netherlands.

Mvg. Dirk

http://212.79.246.244/5800/home.nsf/LynxAmersfoort.jpg

alvin5182 09-01-07 03:51

Bailey Bridge at Weber's Restaurant

Jon:

Sorry to say the bridge at Weber's restaurant on hwy 11 in Orillia is not a Bailey bridge. I well remember the original "Baileys"' over Lakeshore Dr from the CNE to the waterfront. I travelled them many times during the 50's and 60's to view the CNE airshow. They were replaced when Ontario Place first opened (opposite the CNE) in the late 60's, with covered, purpose built bridges commensurate with Ontario Places' design. Upon an update to Ontario Place in the late 70's-early 80's these bridges became surplus to their needs and Weber purchased one for his restaurant. The rest is.............history.

Al Davis

Bruce MacMillan 09-01-07 20:44

not a bailey but military

1 Attachment(s)
Those of you that have had the chance to drive to northern BC or Alaska could have seen the old Kiskatinaw curved wooden bridge. Built in 1942/43 when the military built the Alaska Hwy. This is the only timber bridge from the war years that is still in use. It's also the longest curved wooden bridge in North America. It's 534 ft long, 100 ft high and a curve of nine degrees. Built 42/43 by Dow Construction of Toronto.

I took the pic in 2002 when snooping around old back roads.
The bridge today is bypassed by the new highway/bridge system but signs are posted to detour and drive a 20 mile stretch of the original road.

Bob Potter 11-01-07 18:22

The road that goes from Florence . . .

To Poggibonsi past the American Military Cemetery crosses over a short stub of a Bailey bridge. If your coach is moving too quickly or you have had your senses a bit kerfuffled by the traffic circle you just sped through, you might miss it. But it's a Bailey all right; I almost felt compelled to stop the bus to get out to torque the bolts.

Bob

Vets Dottir 11-01-07 19:12

Hi folks,

I came across a photo and a bit of story about bailey bridges (visit link below)

JON SKAGFELD ... there are a lot of photos of radio equipment farther down the page. I immediately thought of you and wondered if you'd be interested in seeing them.

VEHICLES ... at the bottom of the page are 2 strange looking vehicles ;)

http://www.btinternet.com/~ian.a.pat...m#Baileybridge

:cheers:

Karmen

Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP) 11-01-07 19:13

Bailey Bridges

In the movies, one of the best sections of the film A BRIDGE TOO FAR was when they were building that Bailey under command of whatsisname. Classic filmwork.

Vets Dottir 14-02-07 06:11

Lotsa baileys

Found this ... Baileys!!! (and I don't mean the drink! :D )

http://www.baileybrug.info/WO2.htm

Karmen

sapper740 03-03-07 13:56

Quote:

In the movies, one of the best sections of the film A BRIDGE TOO FAR was when they were building that Bailey under command of whatsisname. Classic filmwork.

It was a cigar-chomping Elliot Gould.

sapper740 03-03-07 15:00

Re: Another Bailey or its descendant...

Quote:

Originally posted by Grant Bowker
is located just west of CFB Chilliwack (erected by the Engineers based there) on the road leading to Abbotsford and Vancouver. It is a great way to avoid driving North to the Trans Canada and then Southwest in order to get to the same place. Needless to say the locals love being able to make the crossing, even if they don't all know or appreciate the history of the bridge. Again, no photos, the last time I was out there the RCMP had taken over most of the base, the H-huts that had lasted for over 60 years of use and abuse had been flattened and thankfully the hated gas hut had met a similar fate. It is depressing how often we seem to put up a major complex at a base just in time to close the base.

Location added if you want to Google Earth to see why the locals find it so useful: N49°06'11" W122°04'39"

Closing CFB Chilliwack was an example of Pork barrel politics at it's worst. B.C. had had enough of the Liberal Party and Pierre (the finger) Trudeau in the '70s. In the 80s we fought long and hard to get the Conservatives elected but when we finally did they proved to be nothing but a bunch of Ontario and Quebec lickspittles also. In the '90s we embraced the Reform Party and they darn near formed the government! Of course, the Liberal party had to punish us western boors who so nearly kicked them out of the trough. In spite that the terrain around CFB Chilliwack was perfect for the Engineer school, when the Liberals needed to bribe the Maritimes to accept the H.S.T., what did they do? Here's a couple of billion dollars and an increased military budget for ya! 'Course, yer all bending over and grabbin' yer ankles now aren't ya, now that the bribe money is gone! What is the H.S.T. up to now? 20%? The Dovers are naming their boy Ben ain't they!
Anyway, just so I don't get accused of thread-jacking, back to Grant. Grant, I believe the Bailey just west of CFB Chilliwack is now gone and replaced with a new bridge, at least that's what they were fixin' to do around the time I left B.C. For decades in North Vancouver we used a Bailey bridge to cross the lower Lynn River after a flood washed away the original bridge.
It is indeed sad to see the skeletal remains of CFB Chilliwack. I was there when the school was up and running and it was a busy, vibrant base. The ASU still there is a scant reminder of what was. There was one bright note to the closing of the base...my unit, 192 A.E.F. in Abbotsford was allowed to pick over the carcas and we labouriously took down several metal buildings, moved them to Abbotsford, and set them up again, so a little bit of Chilliwack still remains...albeit in a new location. Go a little west of your Google Earth location until you find Abbotsford Airport. On the east side of Taxiway Delta you'll see a group of buildings next to the Water Bomber base. That's us. CHEEMO!

Bruce MacMillan 03-03-07 19:54

Poco bailey bridge

Those that live on the wet coast here might remember when the "Red Bridge" in Port Coquitlam was destroyed by an out of control semi in 1982. The engineers from CFB Chilliwack quickly arrived and put up a temporary Bailey bridge connecting Pitt River Road with the Lougheed Hwy by Essondale. That bridge was in daily use by hundreds of vehicles for 14 years until replaced in 1996.

There is still a Bailey bridge in daily use connecting Coquitlam with New Westminster via United Boulevard. It is a one lane bridge and carries a lot of traffic, so much that two flag people control crossing during the day.