MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   For Sale Or Wanted (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Wanted: British 15cwt Chain Locker (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29692)

Owen Evans 02-01-19 08:48

British 15cwt Chain Locker

2 Attachment(s)
Looking for the chain locker that is located under the right hand catwalk on the British water tank truck. I suspect this is the same as those fitted to the British 15cwt GS trucks too. Does anybody have one they would like to part with?

There was an advert that briefly appeared on Milweb some months ago for reproduction ones, but I didn't avail myself of the opportunity. :bang: And I can't remember who was selling them; does anybody know?

Thanks,
Owen.

Mike Kelly 02-01-19 14:27

Boxes

Hi Owen

Looks pretty much the same style box fitted on my PU Morris but the overall dimensions for the 15 cwt water truck box might be different.These boxes seem to be standard fitment on various British vehicles

With basic metalwork skills you could knock up one of those boxes in your own workshop

Owen Evans 02-01-19 21:56

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kelly (Post 257001)
Hi Owen

Looks pretty much the same style box fitted on my PU Morris but the overall dimensions for the 15 cwt water truck box might be different.These boxes seem to be standard fitment on various British vehicles

With basic metalwork skills you could knock up one of those boxes in your own workshop

Hi Mike,

I tend to concur; the only difficulty I can see would be achieving the stamping in the door. The attached pictures show the remains of a water tank catwalk with the box attached (not mine!). Assuming the frames of the catwalk are about 30mm, I estimate the box is roughly 300mm (ish) wide.

Please could you advise the width of the box on your Morris?

Thanks,
Owen.

Mike Kelly 03-01-19 05:28

Drawings

1 Attachment(s)
Got some drawings of that box somewhere. The PU box appears to be shorter

BTW thanks for the catwalk detail pics very helpful.!

Mike Kelly 03-01-19 05:36

More

3 Attachment(s)
Another.............few

Owen Evans 03-01-19 07:55

1 Attachment(s)
Mike,

Thanks for those drawings, much appreciated. :salute:

On the subject of catwalks, there was a post on the HMVF forum a while ago identifying that the catwalk rails taken off a Bedford MWC were 15 inches apart. When you look at the attached photo (based on a 2 gallon can being about 9-3/4" wide), 15 inches seems a bit wide.

I would say 11 inches maximum? :(

Owen.

Mike Kelly 03-01-19 08:20

Hmmm

Hi Owen

Yes I did see that catwalk info over on the hmvf . I agree with you, 15 " looks to be too wide but we need to confirm with somebody who is willing to do some measuring !

The kiwi 15 cwt water truck pic is hosted by the NZ archives web site and it can be enlarged to a very high high resolution level.