MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   WW2 Military History & Equipment (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   PhD in General Motors' history (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6102)

David_Hayward (RIP) 23-04-04 12:38

!

Hi Dave! And Nuyt! PhD thesis time..yes today at Southampton Uni for viva voce.

nuyt 23-04-04 12:41

Viva David!

Viva! What does it mean? A ceremony?
Can we congratulate you already or wish you good luck?

Cheers
Nuyt

Alex Blair (RIP) 23-04-04 13:47

Re: !

Quote:

Originally posted by David_Hayward
Hi Dave! And Nuyt! PhD thesis time..yes today at Southampton Uni for viva voce.
On the sucessful completion of your PhD,I assume that you should ,in future be addressed as "Doctor Dave".....
Or ,humble as you are ,do you prefer "Doctor Super Dave"...???Well done.....

David_Hayward (RIP) 23-04-04 19:43

Not yet!

No, after two plus hours of grilling over General Motors pre-war, wartime and post-war..I have got to re-write and re-submit! Six years and still I have perhaps at most a year to go to get my PhD in history.

By the way the PhD is on the economic history of the Southampton Plant of GM Limited. It of course includes the Canadian vehicle assembly history and photos!!!

Keith Webb 23-04-04 21:33

Re: Not yet!

Quote:

No, after two plus hours of grilling over General Motors pre-war, wartime and post-war..I have got to re-write and re-submit! Six years and still I have perhaps at most a year to go to get my PhD in history.

By the way the PhD is on the economic history of the Southampton Plant of GM Limited. It of course includes the Canadian vehicle assembly history and photos!!!

David, a very worthy PhD indeed!

Hanno Spoelstra 23-04-04 22:18

Re: Not yet!

Quote:

David, I wonder who is doing the grilling? I'm asking because as far as I can imagine you must be the most knowledgeable person on this subject in the world.
Anyway, keep at it, Doctor!

H.

David_Hayward (RIP) 24-04-04 00:09

Griller thriller

The external examiner who knows something about american vehicles, plus has written on consumerism etc., said that he had never seen a more well-researched thesis before. Praise indeed but more work to be done it seems.

For our Nederland friends I go into detail, I think, about what would have happened to the British market had the Nazis reached a settlement with the UK. I suggested that there would have been a Gauleiter for the UK but trade with the British Empire would have continued. Further, that British motor factories would have been turned over to supply trucks for the invasion of the Soviet Union. Of course had there have been a settlement then the thousands of Canadian trucks imported before the Government sailed for Canada would have been sequestred [no seized!] and turned into Umbauwagen or pressed into service, just as happened with captured N African campaign trucks.

Post-war, you might be interested to know, tons and tons of ex-Canadian, Briwith WD and US parts were sold off around the world from Southampton as were refurbished CMPs and MCPs.