View Single Post
Old 17-09-08, 04:26

G'day Mike,
The 240ci engine is a bit bigger and heavier than the Falcon engine,I have always known them as a Canadian engine.I had one in a civilian 1970 F250 I once owned and worked hard,it was powerfull enough in it but you have to baby them a bit or they spit the rings out between 40 to 50,000 miles which mine did twice, in the F250 that is.When I went through the ARN lists at the War Memorial there weren't many D series that hadn't had an engine change or two.My D series had 57,000 mile on it when I bought it and its army fitted replacement engine was fairly worn in the bore in a bad way as the top rings were broken on all the pistons and had been for a long time.The annoying thing about it is Ford had an identical 300ci engine which was optional and from what I have seen of them in farm trucks was marginally more reliable,the gearbox and diff are unbreakable in the army D 400 so the extra power would not have been a problem.But I guess that the bean counters didn't want to pay the extra couple of dollars to option up to the 300ci.You would probably attract a fair bit of attention doing burnouts in a hotted up D400 at the traffic lights on a Saturday night cruise with the missus.The pictures that Tommy K put in show just how good looking they are maybe I am biased though.Cheers Ken