View Single Post
Old 02-02-09, 12:02
Ian Williams

Default Brakes on a budget

I have completed overhaul of the Master Cylinder. Its about my 10th automotive one I think...

The brake pipes: I will weight cost VS swaging kit and tube and DIY. I don't like farming out jobs as I have had to accept a standard set by the person who did the job. As for some professional jobs, some are less than perfect and you end up re-doing them down the track. I can site many examples, but this is not the place.

To me, there is no urgency to my truck. I bought it with the intent of pleasure in restoration. I spent four hours making a new hasp for the F15A's tool box, what a joy, its like a new one!!

I appreciate all the concerns of safety, but this is not my first vehicle, (34th in fact) and I strongly agree with your statement Howard: "the more work you do to your own project, the more satisfaction with the final product". I have had three braking failures in three vehicles in 26years which were professionally repaired: Those failed systems were not done by myself. I was not watching/assisting repairs at the time.

If I learn something new I am better for it. If I just take my time, read the book and do it properly, I will be fine. No shortcuts, and do it once.

I am very mindful of age deterioration. I work in aviation and that is a daily issue. The techniques and ideas we all share is what makes MLU such a wonderful website:

On MLU I can ask a unique question without ridicule. That is truly a unique part of MLU I personally enjoy.

Ian

F15A,
2x Army Land Rover 88' sIIA's
GPW
Other stuff