View Single Post
Old 16-02-09, 17:54
Mr. HUP

Default Sunny Sonday at the Barn

It was a good Sunday at the barn as it warmed up to -3oC. After a fairly early start, Bob and Grant found serial numbers hidden under layers of paint on Bob's doors. Grant pulled apart the doors - removing the outer skins so that Bob could map the interior dimensions. Two things were noted - there was no paint on the interior surfaces, and penetrating oil really penetrates! The oil was sprayed on some of the nuts and bolts and had seeped almost to the other side of the door.

While they played with the doors, I worked on fabbing up replacement parts for the spare tire holder. I made the cross bar and its cover (see two up for photo of the original). After failing to make a squared away bracket, I called in Bob, who came up with a really simple way of making a bracket. He took a length of square tubing, cut one side off and bent out the sides making a very good looking bracket. While not exactly like the original, it will be hidden behind the spare anyway.

I also played with the other two fenders. After heating them up near Lucifer, I undercoated them and then added the mudflaps. The front fender went on with very little fuss. The large rear fender will have to wait until next week. It is gratifying to see things coming along (after all these years...).
Attached Thumbnails
b and g.jpg   bracket.jpg   flaps.jpg  

Last edited by RHClarke; 18-02-09 at 21:22.