View Single Post
Old 14-03-09, 16:41

This has been a very tough week for many of us since hearing of my old buddy Herb’s passing. Yesterday was the toughest day of all. We attended the internment where Herb's ashes came to their final resting point. Myrna, Brian, Janet and I attended the service with many of Herb’s friends from the serving military, the reserves, the cadets, veterans, the Legion, Ferret Club, the Limber Gunners and the OMVA. This particular cemetery is an incredibly beautiful location which was unexpected considering it’s central location in the City of Scarborough. At the door to the chapel we had to pass Herb’s beloved Field Artillery Tractor, Limber and 25 pdr. The first part was the Legion Service and the remainder was the regular service complete with a bagpiper and a quartet that played some of Herb’s favourite songs. After the service we paraded behind the Tractor, Limber and 25 pdr. along a winding trail through the cemetery, past a 25 pdr and a 17 pdr monument. The grave site is along the roadway at the bottom of a sloping hillside. The lone piper playing on the hill was a nice touch along with the trumpetor that brought many to tears. The highlight was the three rounds fired by the 25 pdr. I bet that woke a few people up in the neighbourhood. We all put our poppys in a cushion beside Herb’s remains and returned to the hall for the reception. As I said, it was a tough day but also a very satisfying one in that Herb was given such a great send off by so many people whose lives he touched in so many ways. In his eulogy Paul gave Herb one final "Ubique".

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.