View Single Post
Old 14-10-09, 00:45

Default 261 with dual exhuast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walde View Post
Pulled the 235 out the day after we came back from the convoy,the engine ... A hot rodder wanted to get rid of his 261 with only 3000 miles on it, so we made a deal for $600 and I got a duel exhaust manifold thrown in. Talk about a good day. The following weekend I re-gasket-ed the 261 and got the engine back in the CGT.

A few modifications, an oil cooler, dual exhaust, fan shroud and most important a tach!

Walde
The 261 with the dual exhaust, I assume Fenton headers solves a lot of problems. For those of you how have had problems with getting the exhaust manifold to stay sealed on your 216, 235, or 261 the split header seems to be the answer exhaust leaks and warping of the manifold from heat. The two piece header allows the manifold to deal with the heat (modern gas) without leaking. Works well on all three of the engines.

Question for you do you know which carb you have. There is a large throat and a small throat. I just found two of the large throats this summer and installed one on my 261 and there is a significant difference.

Just did my first long convoy with the 261 in my C60S (gross weight 11,000 lbs.) and even surprised some of the modern M-series trucks. Nice not to be the slowest vehicle any more. The 261 doesn't really change top end but you get up to speed faster and can hold it on the grades.

As to adding instruments like, tach, oil temp, vacuum I've been collecting the smaller 2" instruments and mounting them above the windshield once I find a tach I'll install the group with a hinged visor to hid them when the vehicle is on display.

Goes without saying you have the CMP most desired by all us CMP nuts. Great work on a great looking truck.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com