View Single Post
Old 05-11-09, 03:00
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
OK quick question. So if this Bill is supported in the Senate, just how would it help me in getting a couple of these rifles.???
Currently, having live firearms on MV's is a bad idea (I think). So wanting dummy or deactivated makes sense...providing it's done safely and only at the right venues!!

Dummy, replica guns are banned in Canada, unless you owned them before the law changed.

Deactivating live rifles is fine, so long as they are done to current government guidelines. But here is the problem. If you register yourself for acquiring firearms, take the course, write the test, etc. then go out and buy a rifle or two, you would then have to confirm they've been deactivated. This process would be time consuming and expensive.

If the Senate passes C-391, then you may convince a licensed owner to buy a clunker, deactivate it to current standards and sell it to you. The difference is that without the firearms registry, there would be no need to get the rifle certified deactivated and de-registered.

I note that in the UK deactivated firearms sell for higher prices than real ones:

http://www.chrisjohnsons.co.uk/shop/shop.php