View Single Post
Old 27-11-09, 19:39

There are plenty of stills from the film in Classic & Vintage Commercials magazine (July 2008) including a head-on shot where the diff is clearly off-set (to the driver's right) like a CMP but not like the K9. You can also see CMP style hubs in some of the photographs and six-stud wheels in another, so the C8A analysis seems spot on to me.

This said, the article says:
The standard item was a 4x2 Austin K2 but for some scenes the film's technicians seemed to have used a Canadian Military Pattern 4x4 chassis and mounted the Austin's coachowrk on top of it. There were also stories of the British Motor Corporation lending the production a hand via a 4x4 Austin K9 disguised as a K2 (just look at the front axle in certain shots).

So there you go. Watch the film and take your choice.

One oddity, the article starts by quoting what appears to be an extract from the book:
My official name is A1079654, ambulance, Austin, K2. I have a six-cylinder overhead valve 29.8HP engine, four gears, and I weigh about two and a half tons. But I have always been called KATY.

Did they get the number wrong in the film! (Now there's a little known fact.) Anyone got the book?