View Single Post
Old 29-03-11, 12:28

All good points guys, My concerns are those who make the things from scratch - and claim they are something than a replica using some genuine parts. like i said im all in favour of repro parts and replacement pannels and i am not out to discredit anybodys work, but to build a vehicle from scratch using odd parts it is still not the same as saving a vehicle

The VOSA / DVLA only have to read some of the post on here and they would see vehicles being maunfactured from scratch in the UK. If these were landrovers and you carried out the same rebuild programe and then fitted a age related number (claiming it to be 1960 say) it could be confiscated and could be crushed. I believe DVLA looks for at least 50% of the original vehicle to be present to be clasified as the original.

One point to learn is we should all becareful what we publish on the internet.

We do need to save as many of the vehicles as possible, but not lets just go out there making new ones. Im sure if i was to make an exact copy of a MK4 WW1 male tank (even incorperating some genuine parts) it would be viewed by all collectors as the "replica". Yes it would be nice to have a WW1 tank for all to see touch and experence move but like Richie says "it is what it is ". it does not detract from the quality of the work but its "not" a WW1 tank at the end of the day and would not be worth the same as a real one. And if it was to be ever road registered it would need a "Q" plate.

Yes Alec, carriers are not laying around in scrap yards these days (well not as much) and they are greatly sort after. Yes i was lucky enough to find some many years ago, but i would like a real Spitfire, at the end of the war there were plenty of those in the scrap yards as well, unfortunalty thats life, i have to put up with a replica but i do not pass it off as real one.

Its one thing to restore a vehicle, its another to make a replica.

I know the carrier in Lincolnshire, not sure what work was needed. it was in very good order when i last see it at Christmas.

remember, just keep smiling and carry on !
(targets up !)

Morris C8
Ford GPW jeep 1945
Morris 1000 (ex mil)
SAS LSV
Harley Davidson MT 350 motor cycle
Universal carrier MK 1*1943 Ronson (under restoration)
Universal carrier MK 2* 1944 (Puddle Jumper HSK 345)
Ferret MK 1/1 1956
Ferret MK 2/4 1958
CVR(T) Scorpion
432 MK2
Daimler MK1 armoured car 1943
(winner best wheeled armour W&P show 2011)
Daimler Dingo MK2 1944 (awaiting restoration, aquired 11/12/2011)
Fordson WOT 3 D 1940 (awaiting restoration )