View Single Post
Old 04-04-11, 23:07

Default Dodge solved the problem the same way

When Dodge started production of the WC62/63, 6x6, 1-1/2 ton Weapons Carrier the transmission handbrake was moved from the gearbox to the transfer case because of it (the t'fer case) being a two speed unit. This put the handbrake assembly directly under the seat area, towards the rear. To enable this to be done the area above the handbrake had to be given a distinct hump to clear the brake assembly and also an oblong hole was made so as to allow the 'J' bolt to be removed.
For the sake of standardisation these changes were made to the entire open cab production whether the cab was destined for 6x6 or 4x4. Many WC owners have wondered what the hole in the cab floor under the seats was there for as it serves no purpose on the 4x4.
In regards to the effectiveness (or not) of the Jeep handbrake. I have a friend who many years ago determined to get his to work 'as it should'. He carried out the adjustments and did in fact get the thing to work quite well. That evening we got in the vehicle to attend a club meeting and had only gone a couple of miles before flames were noticed coming up from under the floor around the levers. His response was quite impressive. We came to an immediate halt and as we exited the vehicle he was already removing his jumper which he then used to beat out the flames. My response was equally impressive, I couldn't stop laughing at the sight.
David

Last edited by motto; 04-04-11 at 23:26. Reason: Additional text