Thread: 1970s CF Radios
View Single Post
Old 25-06-11, 15:18
MUTT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Fedak View Post
At work, I have some good pictures of an Iltis in service in Bosnia/Croatia with dual VHF antenna and one HF antenna. The vehicle is a MP Iltis, with a VHF whip on the rear driver side, an HF antenna on the rear passenger side, and a VHF whip on the front mount. It appears to be running a checkpoint on a road. I will have to remember to post them on this thread.
Bosnia was a nightmare for Comms from the end user perspective. We got pretty good at setting up and tearing down the Mast and Sputnik by the time I left. Our Sat Phone came in a kit the size of a Barracks Box and required a portable generator to run it. This was during the VRC-12 days and there was no low level HF Comms at that point. I'm not surprised HF showed up years later, especially when operations consisted of parking a C/S or two at every polling station in the AO or similar stuff. Regardless, Bosnia wasn't doctrine. Had the Iltis remained in service after we pulled out of the Balkans, that Comms setup would have been yanked upon return to Canada, sorta like the RT-117F of late.

Nothing wrong with doing what your doing in my eyes. Its the guys who are painting Iltis' 383 Desert Tan and passing them off as legit period correct Op ATHENA vehicles that irks me.