View Single Post
Old 03-09-11, 14:55
Richard Harrison

yes i patched mine in and am happy with the results. i chopped the remains to make a level datum for the missing top half of the bulkhead to go back......its just 5mm steel and can be laser cut at most places... i had forwarded copies of the bulkhead (DXF) out for folk...my laptop containing the file is broken so i cant forward it to you...others might help.

tips.

Make sure you do all the drilling for the angle iron before the side armour goes on... or if the side armour is on drill the holes for the uprights before wleding in the bulkhead (otherwise you wont get the drill in)

make sure you 45 deg cut the new steel where it meets the old steel (and do the same for the old material) so you create a nice valley for the weld to sit in, you get best penetration this way and the weld can be dressed back to be invisible when complete.... i put a second bead of weld on the engine bay side of the bulkhead under the angle bar and is invisible...just added extra strength...

Cheers

Richie

EDIT:- use mild steel not ally as there is some strength required in the bulkhead...just my opinion though

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).