Thread: Humber FV1600
View Single Post
Old 06-09-11, 13:22

Malcolm greetings. I have followed the history of this Pig in its various guises for the best part of 30 years. A few years ago it appeared on ebay painted grey displaying the registration 3071 EZ & claiming to be ex-RUC

This was not the registration of the vehicle. EZ was belonged to a Mk 1 Pig used by the RUC, it was unique in that it was a FV1611 unlike the other 9 RUC Pigs which were FV1609.

I think a previous owner thought that the flat barricade ram bore a resemblance to the one on his Mk 2 Pig & assumed its identity. I pointed this out to the then seller informing him of the actual civilian registration. As this agreed with his V5 he believed me, removed references to ex-RUC in the advert.

It passed through a number of sales subsequently, but no doubt still has the grey paint underneath that might give the impression that it had seen RUC service.

The RUC did have three Mk 2 Pigs in the mid-late 1970s but the one being offered is not one of those.

The transfer boxes are different.
Pig 1.41:1
GS 1.33:1

Axle ratio
Pig 5.71:1
GS 5.57:1

I am told the present difficulties are due to a damaged diff pinion wheel. I believe the pinion & crown wheel are the same for Pig & GS.

The rear joints on the GS will be Tracta whereas Pigs were originally fitted with Chobham joints. The Chobhams proved unreliable in their duties in NI as the retaining clips for the articulating pad were prone to failure.

In desperation some Pigs were fitted with GS Tracta joints & indeed some were actually re-manufactured for this role.

Subsequently the stronger Birfield joints were fitted. However they ran out of the special steel so there were 104 Mk 2 Pigs that were not fitted with Birfields. So without dismantling the joints there is no knowing whether a Mk 2 Pig was fitted with Birfield, Chobham, Tracta or a combination of any of these.
UK

Last edited by fv1620; 06-09-11 at 15:19.