View Single Post
Old 12-10-11, 07:43

MikeC,

Good info as usual.

I think your info on reducing the range with elevation is suspect - you can't beat physics - 45deg is maximum range for any projectile, thrown rock, motorcycle jumping busses or garden hose. Shot-put and javelin athletes aim for an exact 45deg launch.

I seem to remember "howitzer" referred to a weapon capable of higher angles than 45deg - very useful for high crest clearance or tossing over a hill ie the shells go further and further as the gun gets to 45deg then start coming back in - try it with a garden hose. In theory, if you can get it high enough (mortars have no trouble) you can drop a shell down almost vertical behind a building 100 metres away - or maybe back down your own barrel!.

They had a reasonable range because they had quite a good muzzle velocity. For those whose memory needs jogging like mine these days, the weight of the projectile has absolutely nothing to do with its range. If we had a target at 100 metres a 22 aimed direct would hit it about 5 inches low, a heavier 243 would hit it about 1 inch low and an even heavier 18 pounder would hit it about 8 inches low. It is all to do with the time in the air while gravity is pulling them all down at 32 ft/sec/sec so velocity is king.

I can't figure out why they only had 16deg unless they were designed as a direct fire weapon - it would make them almost useless as an indirect fire support weapon. Any ideas? I suppose they came from an era where the commander still stood on a hill and directed the battle visually.

Last edited by Lang; 12-10-11 at 09:46.