View Single Post
Old 23-03-12, 13:31
Tony Baker

Default Second door ready for pickup

I had an SMS from the sandblaster this afternoon. The second door is blasted & ready for me to take. Hopefully they will be working tomorrow morning, or it will be next week before I can look at it. Regardless, there is plenty of work to be done on the drivers door, and that may take all my time this Sunday anyway.

I made a point of buying that CIG brand roll of MIG wire. I have had good results with that brand. Not so much with others. As a fairly inexperienced, amateur welder, I need all the help I can get.

If I get to an impasse with the door, the next task is to examine window glass frames, and choose the best I have for repair. I have some really bad ones that I won't feel guilty pulling apart to examine construction method or to experiment repairs with.

Just a little while ago, I was reading some MLU postings on another thread, regarding use of molasses in de-rusting parts. I would like to give this a go for something in near future. Maybe this might be a good thing to drop the window frames into. I don't fancy trying to get those frame screws out without some serious chemical assistance. Can't use heat because the glass is too good to destroy. Molasses is easy to get around here, so I may even get some tomorrow while in town. Doubt I will be saving any for the morning toast though.

With another week passing without hearing from the bolt shop, I guess they will get a visit as well. Where did good customer service go?????

On a much sadder note, I happened to be passing through Kandanga this afternoon, at the same time a funeral memorial was ending. It was the funeral of a little 12 year old local boy, Jake Garrett, who had passed away early this week, following an accident he had while on a ride-on-mower. The poor lad had been in an induced coma at the childrens hospital in Brisbane for many days, and his injuries were numerous and of such severity that they were ultimately not compatable with life. As I was passing the hall where the service had been held, I heard the uncontrollable anguished screams of a child, perhaps a sibling or friend of the deceased. I have had both the honor and the curse of attending many funerals, Civillian, Military, young or old, but the sound I heard today is one that will stay with me all my life. Just when you think you're hardened to suffering and death, something like this comes along and jolts reality back again.

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au...ight-for-life/