Thread: Penguin Mkll
View Single Post
Old 21-07-13, 16:09
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Back to the raccoons...

Two stories. Firstly, I know of a fellow collector/supply guy who is in our hobby that got tangled up with a raccoon out in one of his storage trailers. while searching for a part in a dimly lit trailer, he reached up to a top shelf where, lo and behold a very pissed off raccoon was hiding out. It went up one side of him and down the other and during the process bit him. A trip to the hospital and some rabies shots...not nice.

Secondly, pertaining to the abilities of these creatures. I was camping in N Ontario one time and did my best to raccoon proff my campsite.
I went so far as to set the seat of the picnic table on top of my cooler so the weight of the table would hold my cooler in place to keep the coons from helping themselves.
In the mddle of the night I heard some noise outside the tent so got up with flashlight in hand to see what was going on. I could not believe my eyes when I saw a raccoon on his hind legs, forelegs grasped around the handle of my cooler trying his hardest to pull my cooler from under the pcnic table seat!
They are a pain but they are smart. Even more so, they are usually not timid of humans neither which makes the risks associated with them even greater.

Sorry to hijack your post Rob.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers