View Single Post
Old 22-07-13, 19:54
carrier mech

While I admittedly don't have the corrosion problems of the East (Ont/Qebec etc) , I have had success using the silver loctite antisieze on nuts and bolts. It is of extremely high temp rating, and as you will find when you atart using it, it transfers from the bolt to your fingers, your fingers to everything you touch for the next hours, then back to your fingers when you touch them again.

We used to use them on the tapered shock pins for the M113. These were a bugger to get off normally.....sometimes you just removed the shock mount and left it with the shock. Other times, on the non-removable pins, you cut the shock bearing off the pin. But with the pin pre-coated lightly with the antiseize, the shocks came off very nicely.

We also used it as a lubricant in the HLVW remote shifter cup, so it is good for more than just antisieze.

As to the blue or red loctites, those will be dependant on the application, and really does not have anything to do with corrosion protection.

Lynn: There is a short filmstrip about carrier maintenance form the war. In it, they warn that the bolts for the firing rest angle iron over the radiator are 3/8 NF, and not to mix them with the various BSF nuts and bolts on the rest of the carrier. I also agree with your like for the Dodge bolts. I have worked on numerous M37s, and the hardware on them is unsurpassed in quality by anything else.

Perhaps a good example of the cross SAE/DIN would be the hotchkiss jeeps, where the threads were SAE on the engine, but with metric heads. (At least that is what I was told by a guy who had one...I have never had one myself.)