View Single Post
Old 31-07-13, 03:37
Centurion nut

Mike,

Again, your knowledge overwhelms me. I've been doing some further research into the Canadian use of the Centurion in Germany, particularly concerning the dates of when changes were made. The only conclusion at which I've been able to arrive is that there is no documented evidence giving these details. Most information is based on best-guesses made from available photographic evidence. And yes, 20-pdrs and L7's could be found being used at the same time.

I've also been able to identify where and when the earlier photograph of the the two Mk 5/2's and the Mk 5 was taken. Another version of the photo can be found in the history of the RCAC which states that the tanks belonged to the Fort Garry Horse, the year was 1965, and the location was the rail marshaling yards at Iserlohn. (I should credit the photo to Lt-Col David Summers at this point.)

Now, can it be determined if any of the Centurions in the earlier photos have been equipped with an auxiliary 100-gal fuel tank? I understand that being fitted with one allowed the vehicle to have the appellation LR for 'long range.' I think the tanks in the marshaling yards may be so equipped, but not the one unloading from the transporter. Again, right or wrong?

As always, awaiting your wisdom.

Cheers,
Dan.