View Single Post
Old 17-09-13, 10:13

No wonder so many of them are stuffed. They must have been stacking as much on as they could get to stay without falling off.
The more you could get on, the fewer trips to the grain elevator. It was a national sport during harvest time.
Coming down the Goulburn Valley Highway years ago an old truck with a high sided tipper body came out of a side road ahead of me on his way to East Murchison grain dump. He was that overloaded he didn't want to stop or slow more than he had to. The truck heeled over to a dangerous angle and so as not to make it worse the driver followed an arc that took him off the opposite side of the road before coming back, lurching to lean to the opposite side and careening off the other side of the road.
The poor old thing was barely under control but after a couple more weaves finally settled down for the run to the dump. When I went past he was hunched over the wheel no doubt with his foot to the floor demanding all it had to give. He must have figured it was worth the risk of being caught by the scalies.
That was the world the Blitzs were born into.
David

Last edited by motto; 17-09-13 at 10:22.