View Single Post
Old 11-08-14, 17:22

Looking at the ebay item in Andrew's post #10 it seems to be ordinary screwdriver bits and adaptors off a market stall and a 1/2" to 3/8" adaptor welded to a piece of pipe and painted white. I don't understand how this is any advantage over a normal T bar handle except you can put a really long piece of pipe into it and destroy the bit with less effort.

In my experience the driver bits shown are useless when confronted with "oval head bolts" (the correct term for them, from the parts lists) and I favour the use of a piece of leaf spring, carefully ground to a suitable shape, without getting it hot, and turned with the aid of a big adjustable spanner. Heating the bolt up to red hot and then letting it cool before trying helps too. Splitting the nuts is a good plan but usually the ones that won't undo are the ones that you can't get to the back of.

Quite a good way to measure the size of a problem like this is to count the number of beers that you must consume before the answer becomes obvious. A large vocabulary helps too.

David