View Single Post
Old 20-08-14, 13:27
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default 11 set

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin powles View Post
Mike, it appears The Canadian 11 set tray is All Alluminum, I have talked to few guys in Canada who have confirmed this. Now I have a delima to make an Australian version or Canadaian,? I have a volunteer worker at the Royal Signals museum sending me some pics of one in a glass case there, he doesn't know the country if manufacture but he is going to find out, if British we might be able to confirm the British manufacture method for the tray. Here a pic of it.
The Blandford example is a E.K.Cole UK built set . Some friends sent me a movie of the museum years ago... the 11 set on display is in a glass case , this is because its rare as hens teeth . Its a mystery why only a handful of these survived ......... many were lost by the BEF but not 18,000 which is the production total , so Lou Meulstee says . Apparently the Germans printed a manual for the 11 set , they had captured many of the sets .

The Aust. version was a disaster in the tropics .. the cotton insulation was a great home for fungal growths BTW the Aust. sets have a date scribbled in pencil on the back of the main tuning dial, Ive seen this on quite a few sets . The production ran from 42 into early 1943

I have used a 11 set on the ham 40 metre band , once was enough .
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 20-08-14 at 13:33.