View Single Post
Old 11-10-14, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Vampire View Post
Hi Mike

I may try to flatten using flatting base from the refinisher shop.

I think I may try to find a paint technologist from one of the major paint companies and have a chat.
The project has moved slightly from finding the correct colours to reproducing them.

It is really hard to get the people down at the paint suppliers across the issues. It saddens me that every restoration seems to have to go through this .
Hi Gina,
I have been following your thread and know that it relates more to your country but the following may be of interest.
We are very lucky in the UK that there are so many paint companies who are willing to produce the various shades of paint for our restorations. The type of paint mainly used is a synthetic alkyd paint which is 2 hour quick drying of a type made for machinery use. One make I use is HMG Paint, Speedline C71. It is usually supplied as a semi-matt, which appears to have a sheen to it, but after a few weeks of curing and slight weathering it matts down very nicely. The benefit of this finish is that not being dead flat matt it does not show oil or grease spots and can easily be cleaned.
Something to explain regarding dead flat matt paints, a guy came to me quiet distraught as he had restored his jeep in the original US shade of Olive Drab, his first test drive revealed an oil leak from the transfer box that resulted in the whole of the back end of the jeep body covered in oil spots. I trying to clean it, the situation was made worse, the paint absorbed the oil. I think you will find if using a dead flat Matt that it may look good initially but on a short time of use, hand and foot marks will mar the paint as well oil and grease, etc., which once in the paint, will not come out.

When I worked in army workshops the camo paint had a slight sheen and was not what I termed "blackboard paint", which is what a dead flat matt is like.

I wanted a sample of the British SCC No.2 Brown for a restoration and was lucky to find a bracket for a regulator box with a large patch hidden from dirt and light for about 70 years, this was checked by a paint company and replicated with great results. If you cannot get a part of your tank to a paint company, ask if they might have a representative in the area who could bring a colour tester out, if you convince them there is a market for sales to other enthusiasts, they may well play ball.

regards, Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor