View Single Post
Old 25-04-15, 12:26
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default chevy ute

I have the parts book for that vehicle , the NASCO GMH book that was published for the army . The book is a generic publication , it details the 1940 Chev /Maple Leaf trucks and utes .

Being a Chev, mechanical parts will be a breeze to find .

BTW some of those 1940 coupe utes were shipped to the Middle East .

The 1941 Chev coupe ute models are unique, apparently GMH cut down Chev sedan bodies and made up a patchwork cab - the cab appears to be a semi - flat backed affair . Ford did a similar thing to their 41 army coupe ute . I did see a Chev 41 coupe ute years ago in a wrecking yard , during a club trip to Mywee up on the Murray. There was also a rag top roadster cab version , made in small numbers as 1941 Chevs and Pontiac. The well traveled 1941 Pontiac of C Anderson was purchased by me in 1981 . I drove it home from Geelong along Geelong road unregistered . The old chap had bought it in 1946 , he said it came down from Townsville where the RAAF had it . He took it for a drive around the block for me and every time he moved it he put another dent in the bodywork . He had just handed in the original 1946 number plates a few weeks before I got it . He topped up the air in the tyres, he wheeled out a mobile air supply in the form of a Wirraway main wheel, it must have had about 100psi in it and he transferred the air over to the Pontiac tyres . It was $300 I paid for the car . I passed it onto Colin as he had spares from sedans and another ute .

As Rick knows, the army specified wider rims/tyres for these vehicles , 7.50-16 I think
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 25-04-15 at 13:22.