View Single Post
Old 12-12-15, 22:40

Default Operational safety at reenactments

This is just a starting point. Most folks on this list have real-world armour experience in the field, or have years of taking restored armour to shows. Some also reenact and others dont.

Our club - the 15th (Scottish ) Reconnaissance Regiment has accumulated about 9 WW2 Armoured vehicles. As more are ready for the road, our participation at Mid-Atlantic events is growing.

Often, we are asked to load non-unit reenactors on our vehicles. sometimes it is the "wow" factor of "can I ride on yourxxxxx?" to organizers begging some space to help lift some troops to a needed area.

We have pre-event safety checks among the owners and their crews for such things as fire extinguishers, flashlights, small first aid kits, drinking water, eye-wash, goggles and what do we have as a radio net for the event and what channel is for medic events.

At the event, we try to get the organizers to give us five minutes with the troops taking the field to hold a really quick "Why the PBI are know as "Crunchies". and talk about blind spots, stopping distances, tactical backing up (we do it!) and why using the armor as a bit of cover is a dodgy idea.

We brief people how to run over to a vehicle to say something to the driver, (dont - talk to the guy in the turret!)

I would like to end up with a formatted checklist to print and take to events.

Any items you lot can think of please chime in. Also any safety "this is no shits"that we can repeat to the lads to drive a point home.

I have to say, in our area, the Germans have spilled more blood than us due to "pinch injuries" with their converted OT -810s and Hetzers. Fingers in closing armoured doors and dropped hatches coming to mind.

So, happy to share the results with any club.

Never a real military Safety Officer, but sat through many, many safety briefs during my 20 years in NAVAIR and see the value in them.