View Single Post
Old 17-12-15, 00:26
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT10829 View Post
Hey folks, I am fitting a Mk2 WS19 set to my Mk1 carrier, but I am unsure as to which headsets should go with my carrier ? (There are so many variations!)

Any one know the definitive answer ?
The definitive answer will be:

1) Microphone & Headgear Assembly No.1
2) Manufactured in the same country as the set you have fitted.

I don't believe the Carrier used the Junction Distribution boxes (which were a bodge to get around the limited number of slip rings in the turret rotary base junction in tanks), so you Do Not Want any No.2 headsets with Tannoy mics.

I also don't think that British sets were issued with the "breastplate" microphone holders, which seem to have been a Canadian invention - and a useful one for anyone needing to lock the set on transmit and sent long messages. (There was another attachment for the later Microphone, Hand, No.10 - the circular bakelite "fist mike" that was part of Microphone & Receiver Headgear No.10 (the British version). That attachment appears to clamp onto a rod, and was probably for command vehicles.)

Basically, for an "early" set like the Mk.II, you want the headset with Mic Hand No.7 (the bakelite "lollypop" variety). Some of these were fitted with hooks to hang them on the brush guard or convenient projections, others had neck straps, and still others were modified in the field with neck straps. The early ones would have been "raw" and inconvenient to stow anywhere.

Regards,

Chris.