View Single Post
Old 10-04-16, 22:59
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Hi Geoff,
If it interests you I would be happy to post some pictures of the Aerial Base No.8 Mounting No.1 that I have in my collection. There seems to be 2 or 3 variations on this mount but the one I have has only a 3/4" opening for the variometer's aerial feeder.
That mounting is specific to a "through the roof" fitting with the WS19 Aerial Feeder No.4 or No.5. (The No.5 is a longer version for thicker armour.)

There's the original British version with straight sides, the slightly tapered US/Canadian version, and a late/post WW2 all metal version like a steel donut (made from two stampings with the edges seam-welded). I believe they share the same stores code.

Later on, there was an adapter for use with other sets, consisting of a plate with a length of 3/4" tubing that dropped into the "donut" and was secured to the underside of the roof with a nut and washer (the reverse of the variometer feeder arrangement). This was used with the WS88AFV, WS31AFV and possibly other sets.

Chris.
(I'd like to thank Geoff for that diagram too; it explains some of the odd bits in the Pershing and Sherman installation kits as being there to allow a British (3/4") aerial feeder to be fitted to an American tank intended for a 2" feeder. That drawing (or its equivalent) was not in the Pershing kit and there's a blue-pencil line through it on the kit-list.)