Thread: 11 Set stuff
View Single Post
Old 20-04-16, 00:33
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by things_green View Post
'portable' charging switchboard. For charging 3 batteries at once...use the rheostats to tune the voltages. I have a 4Kv Coventry Climax genset I'm hoping to use it with. someday ;-)

It was pretty careworn when it arrived.....
I sourced to correct volt meter from my spares (after looking around the planet for 12 months ~doh~). Still requires a 3rd cut-out relay.
Hi Brent,

The front panel will be made of one of the "Tufnol" varieties, and is basically Synthetic Resin Bonded Paper or Fabric. The resin is phenol/formaldehyde and is a thermosetting plastic that is cured by heating with the material in a press. (Basically it's Bakelite with paper or fabric reinforcement and is a good insulator and very strong (in the thickness used for that panel).)

That charging switchboard is meant for a 550 Watt generating set, so your 4KVA one may well cause the magic smoke to escape. They operate by using one of the rheostats to control the generator field current and hence the output voltage produced, and the other three to set the charging current for each of the output circuits - so you can charge different types of batteries simultaneously provided each circuit has the same total voltage rating and all the batteries in a circuit have the same amp hour capacity.

You could ignore the voltage control rheostat and use it with a suitably chunky variable DC supply, say 18 volts at up to 30 amps for charging 12V signals (or other) batteries.

Do you know which accumulator cut-out you are missing? I picked up a couple at a radio rally recently, and while they are fairly heavy, surface mail should not be too expensive, even to the other side of the planet.

Chris.