View Single Post
Old 18-10-17, 05:50

Default Flasher/Signal Unit-Reply!

Hi Rob....you are most probably correct. I just replaced the signal lever and the blinkers still do not work. With the power on and the new lever placed in left or right position the green light comes on and stays on (no blinking)until it goes back to off. So, I now have two operable signal levers which suggests that it's either the harness or the flasher unit.....I have a flasher on order which should be here tomorrow-I will keep you posted.

As well, I am still stumped as to the oil consumption of about a liter/700-800kms seeing that there is no smoke anytime, the plugs show no oiling, the antifreeze is crystal clear now for over 800 kms and the oil is not a chocolate shake. The oil dripping may be 3-5 drops per day from the rear main seal & the front crank seal. So, I contacted the retired CFB Petawawa mechanic that rebuilt the jeep. I mentioned the oil consumption and details. He said that: 1. A long stroke engine does inherently consume more oil (he did admit that the oil consumption that I had was somewhat unusual) but that he has seen much worse. 2. On rebuilding, he put in new rings (oil control & compression), all new bearings, oil pump etc).....so he too was stumped as to the oil consumption as the jeep only had 1100 kms on it when I bought it after the rebuild. He did mention the PCV valve but I told him that I had that off & well cleaned. He lastly suggested that I change to a straight 30 weight oil for the summer. I also mentioned the engine temp....he said that he was told to keep engine temps down on all of the M38A1 jeeps he maintained so he pulled the thermostats to keep the fluid circulating and that maintained temps to about 130-140F. He suggested that I pull my new 160F thermostat out if I am seeing temps in the 180 F range.
Any thoughts?

Regards,

les
les