View Single Post
Old 23-06-21, 21:21

Default Remember not all CMPs had spares

Hi Rob

I understand it that not all CMPs were equipped with spares if they had RUN FLAT tires, I have some 10:50x20 and 10:50x16 with dates from 1941 and 1942 marked RF4 which are extremely heavy and have thick side walls. I remember reading that trucks with the Run Flats only every 3rd or 4th truck would originally carry be equipped with spare.

Now I'll have to go back through the handbooks and Bill Greggs books for the source of the information.

Now back to these trucks equipped sand tires which were by nature much softer and subject to puncture, carrying a spare or two would be logical.

As to removing the hood and side panels to help cool the engines. While it might help with engine cooling it sure does not help with cooling the driver or co-driver. I've driven my Pattern 12 in 90F+ air temperatures with out the side hood panels and it was miserable. Same temps with panels and hood on doors open on the hooks and the windscreen open halfway was semi tolerable. No doubt in my mine Patter 13 is much better.

But even the Pattern 13 in 80-90F temperature the air in the drivers footwell can hit 124F+. I now have a thermometer under the dash to remind me when it is getting to hot. The truck is fine I'm the one passing out from the heat.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com