Thread: Info needed: TOOL BOX Chevrolet c15a no. 12
View Single Post
Old 13-07-21, 20:45

Default Gauge .......

Hi Paul

Using "gauge" measurements in 2021 is very misleading.....like buying a wooden 2x4 8 feet long..... it is actually 1 9/16 x 3 1/2 in...... you may wind up buying according to metric measurements of 50 or 60 or 70 thou.......

So I have reverted to asking the fabricator/steel shop to tell me what is the standard size he can get that is the closest to the gauge required .... sometimes a little thicker when doing floor items.....

I also have to adjust my building design to my skill levels and sometimes correct obvious (British) weakness in the original factory design.

You may need additional information for building your tool box.... my sketches are not always clear..... so ask away....... the tricky part will be doing the raised lip on the top for the cover.... I can take more closeup photos and measurements.

I can tell you that once finished it is a two man job to lift it on the frame.....and if your cargo box is already in place an overhead device......
That is when the farm tractor with the bucket comes in handy. For inside the barn, I have an overhead trolleys that will lift the vehicle and move it forward or sideways....... a realback saver!!!!

Cheers
Canada