View Single Post
Old 26-07-22, 05:20
VMVC

Default Ford instrument cluster- Correct gold colour

Good Day,

Revisited this recently. I wanted to get as close a colour match before reassembling the cluster. I also looked at other thirties Ford car instrument clusters as I would imagine Ford would not have changed the gold colour in the pre war years.

Looked at about a dozen gold colours, automotive and hardware brands. Narrowed it down to these three. Many automotive golds were too reddish in colour or too light a shade of gold.

As half-predicted the Rust-Oleum looks the closest allowing for aging of the original gold paint. Dupli-Color Goldrush is a bit too yellow. White Knight is an Australian branch of the U.S. PPG company and is is too bright.

The test sample sadly is the fascia I spent a few hours refinishing; primed, spray puttied and wet sanded a few times. The strip brass patches I soldered behind the fascia to fill the holes, as thin as they were, were too thick to allow the bezel to properly seal. Kindly Euan McDonald supplied me with a good restorable one, free of extra holes.

Plan to spray that with Rust-Oleum next nice day- whenever that occurs this winter.

Bet I'm not the first person to spend hours restoring something only to find their efforts were for nought.

Hope this is of some interest.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0256.JPG   IMG_0049.JPG   IMG_0271.JPG  

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 26-07-22 at 06:32. Reason: replaced photo of front with photo of rear of fascia