View Single Post
Old 24-01-23, 22:02

Chris. The cover is off. What I’ve found is that I have only 1/2 contact on two brushes (I can see light between half of the brush and the commutator), and full contact on the other two. It must just be a coincidence that it measured 6 ohms in total. They’re worn enough that I can’t coax the two into making full contact. Now, I’m searching for either NOS brushes, or a suitable modern substitute that measures out. Yes. I should have replaced them when I originally had it apart. They’re held in place by what appears to be a bent wire affair that looks like a set of staples. It seems that to take them out, I must straighten the wire, pull the brushes, replace them, and then bend the “staples” back into place. I’ve replaced more than a few brushes and this appears to be the most complicated. I’m looking for part number 54-102. Ideally, I’d like to find a set of four and a few spares.

Charlie. I seem to recall I have tried to start the set with the rheostat in the full off position, as is indicated in my manual, and in the full on position, but I’m not 100% certain I’ve tried it in the full on position. Also, why would I apply 24v to a 12v genset? Please advise what you’re thinking. Thanks much.
Attached Thumbnails
CACE5D0B-7797-4DA8-970A-ADF59FEA0262.jpeg   C5E65E34-D25F-4050-AAEF-2528A3C83D60.jpeg   F869F5F6-4CBF-41E0-9119-5E8D8142CD21.jpeg  

James D. Teel II
Edmond, Oklahoma
Retired Police Sergeant/Bomb Tech
1943 Willys MB/ITM jeep
1942 SS Cars No1Mk1 LtWt trailer