View Single Post
Old 01-05-05, 22:02

Default Problem No. 3

Problem No. 3

The memoirs of SS-Brigadeführer Kurt Meyer, CO of the 25th SS-Panzergrenadier Regiment. The memoirs concern Normandy Campaign period.

Quote:
Originally written by Kurt Meyer

Of great help to us was the lack of wireless security among the Allied forces. Not only within units was it bad but frequently orders were given over the air by senior commanders who should have known better. We were able to pick these up and immediately initiate counter-measures before the orders were implemented.

Source:
Tony Foster
Meeting of Generals
Authors Choice Press Inc., Lincoln 1986
ISBN 0-595-13750-4
page 363
And the Allied (Polish) reply:

Quote:
Originally written by 2nd Lt. Willie Glaser for Crewman's article only

The buzz word here is "Allied forces". There is only a very remote possibility, the Germans listening to Polish radio transmissions understood what was talked about, everybody was using a pseudonym, mine was "Willush". Even when a map coordinate was mentioned in a transmission, the Germans did not know the governing number sequence. When I reported to the troop commander: "Barbara two" is proceeding to coordinate "F 93", the German radio operator listening to my transmission did not have clue where "F 93" is located on his map, besides most likely the number sequence changed the next day. I do not know about the British or Canadian procedures.

Besides how many Polish speaking officers did Kurt Mayer have on his staff. When Kurt Mayer speaks of "Allied forces", he meant British and Canadian. Very often in the evenings I listened to German radio traffic. There was the odd personal chatter, but I never could make sense of the combination of numbers and letters.

I was never warned specifically about Germans monitoring our transmissions. At wireless school we were told about radio security. As a radio operator I had an idea, Germans may listen to our radio transmission, like I listened to their transmission, but as outlined above, I do not think it gave the Germans any advantage, How many radio operators in the SS divisions spoke Polish?

I never heard that Germans were transmitting false orders. To whom? Certainly not on troop level, surely not on squadron level and for sure not on regimental level. One was close with crews from your troop, you knew the voice and mannerism of most radio operators. I just can not imagine this, especially in the Falaise Gap. The Germans were busy to get out of the gap. You should have seen the devastation of the German troops. They were to busy to save themselves, never mind giving false orders.
Frankly speaking I agree with Willie Glaser. There is lack of logic in Meyer's memoirs. What do you think?

Best regards

C.