Thread: WW2 RCA Gunner
View Single Post
Old 24-05-05, 03:40
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Blackburn's windmill

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
When Geoff was over in Holland a couple of years back, he mentioned he would like to know if that windmill still existed. Guess what? Last May 7th a commemorative plaque honouring Canadians was unveiled by Groesbeek Airborne Friends. Sadly, I only found this out the day after the fact, otherwise I would have made sure I was present...

Quote:
"Mel Squissato greets his friend George Blackburn of the 4th Field Regiment after the plaque unveiling. Mel stayed with George during in the winter of 1944-1945 so that he would not be alone."
Thanks for that, Hanno. Yes, I saw George on TV. Furthermore, I am delighted that Mel Squissato is still alive and was there; I would have loved to have met both together. Squissato was with Blackburn the night the latter won his M.C. on the wrong side of the Twente Canal; they had been cut off and stayed to bring down fire all around themselves to save the bridgehead from a German breakthrough. It's an amazing story covered with exaggerated humilty in Blackburn's THE GUNS OF VICTORY. He damned well earned that M.C., and perhaps should have had the D.S.O.

For those of you not familiar with George Blackburn, he was the longest surviving FOO in the 1st Canadian Army. Hell, he should have had the D.S.O. for that alone.

His trilogy is the best personal history I've ever had the privilege to read. Whether you're interested in artillery or not, this is a must-read; his perspective on the infantry, armour and the Canadian Army as a whole (as well as arty) is unsurpassed. It is simply the finest account of war I've ever read.