View Single Post
Old 04-09-05, 02:52
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally posted by Dianne
Hi Mark:

I am a little confused about the ship my dad sailed on to UK from Halifax. By the way, I live just outside of Halifax.

Anyhow, I wrote to the archives a second time. When dad's records arrived and seemed to have little info that I could understand, I wrote a second time requesting the names of the ships he sailed to and from the UK. According to the archives he sailed to UK on the SS Athlone Castle on Sept 30, 1942 and returned on the SS Acquitania embarking UK for Halifax on 20 June 1945 to arrive on 26 and 27 JUne 1945.
So my question is who is correct, the archives or the service records? I always went by the service records as far as the dates were concerned and the names of the ships are not listed on the service records. And now you said that the FMR sailed on the SS Pasteur!!!! The mystery deepens!!!

The following is info on his service records from when he left Halifax until he arrived in the UK:

2.cd irv embarked sos Cdn A[C] Hlfx 29-9-42 PTE DO-242 Oct 11-42

2.cd irv TOS C.A. 0/5 Hlfx 30-9-42 Pte Do242 Oct 11/42

2.cd irv disembarked UK UK 7-10-42 PTE " " "

" " reported for duty " 8-10-42 " Do-242 11-10-42

SOS 2.cd.iru Sos to FMR F.UC DEm # 8481 UK 19Oct42 Pte 250 20Oct42

Anyhow, it is hard reading all this stuff and I hope you can make some sense of it!

I hope this is a help and I haven't confused the issue even more.

My main hope is I would like to know his exact location in East Sussex where he trained from Sept 42 until July 8th44 and where he was in Scotland.

My husband and I would like to go over there next year and I would like to visit the places where he stayed.

Anyhow, once again I look forward to hearing from you and I thank you for any info you can send me.

Cheers...Dianne